Nissan 370Z Forum  

Is it necessary to ger an Oil Cooler?

Originally Posted by The Z Philes Weird. I see all of this about an oil cooler being a requirement, yet the highest temp I've seen on mine has been just

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Tech Area > Engine & Drivetrain

Like Tree133Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 AM   #76 (permalink)
Now a Ronin Samurai
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fayettenam,Pennsyltucky
Age: 63
Posts: 22,521
Drives: 2011 Nismo GM 6M
Rep Power: 2684408
Rusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z Philes View Post
Weird. I see all of this about an oil cooler being a requirement, yet the highest temp I've seen on mine has been just shy of 200, and that was on a 90 degree day here in Florida. And since it's still new and I'm still having fun, I haven't been light on the throttle. I guess I have some questions. Like what's considered a high oil temp on this car? And what is limp mode? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? And I assume CSC is clutch slave cylinder. So these fail at a ridiculous rate, then?
You have a 2019. Nissan installed a water to oil heat exchanger a couple years ago. It's some what effective under normal driving. Most won't see high temps unless they do some hard driving.
__________________
Group C Driver, After Mods-334HP-279Tor. STD.|F.I. LTH|CBE/12" Resonators|Stillen Gen3|285/35-19, 345/30-19 Mich PSS on 9.5x19 and 12x19 ForgeLine Rims, Nismo RC Brake Ducts,|UpRev Tuned|http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...o-journal.html
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #77 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 111
Drives: 2013 Nissan 370Z
Rep Power: 2
mokhan996 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDKING View Post
Check this thread out I and everyone else put together.
Must have upgrades for every 370Z

On all 370Z's, daily driven to track car, all need a oil cooler and a CSC elimination kit or a heavy duty CSC. The oil cooler was my first upgrade not a week after getting my car after it went into limp mode driving normally to my job when it was 70 degrees out. I got the Z1 34 row with Setrab and the protective wrap with the thermostatic sandwich plate even though I live in Southern California just to be safe. I would stay away from Mishimoto's products and I heard good things about the Stillen and Fast Intentions oil coolers. At this point, it's a requirement on every single 370Z to have a oil cooler.
Holy s**t, didn't think Mishimoto would ever be that bad. Yeah after talking to several people on this forum, including yourself, for sure getting the Z1.
BettyZ likes this.
mokhan996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #78 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 111
Drives: 2013 Nissan 370Z
Rep Power: 2
mokhan996 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Terminology can kill you real quick. Sometimes, it's like speaking a different language. For me. Going from steam turbine ( old school) to gas turbine (new school) . Two different words mean the same thing, the same piece of equipment. Best part, the damn pieces of equipment sit side by side. They tell you to work on piece X, but mean piece Y. You better check to make sure. If not. It could kill you.
Absolutely!
mokhan996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #79 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 111
Drives: 2013 Nissan 370Z
Rep Power: 2
mokhan996 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z Philes View Post
Weird. I see all of this about an oil cooler being a requirement, yet the highest temp I've seen on mine has been just shy of 200, and that was on a 90 degree day here in Florida. And since it's still new and I'm still having fun, I haven't been light on the throttle. I guess I have some questions. Like what's considered a high oil temp on this car? And what is limp mode? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? And I assume CSC is clutch slave cylinder. So these fail at a ridiculous rate, then?
I've seen my car hit a MAX 230? Even at 200 its fairly high but honestly hitting 200+ is "normal operation" on our 370's. Limp mode from my understanding would be for example if you're lugging your engine, it'll go into limp mode to prevent catastrophic failure. Yes CSC is Clutch Slave Cylinder. For some odd reason, the Slave Cylinder are notorious to fail on our cars. Whether its 50k Miles of 5k Miles, it'll go when it wants. Here's a link to the Zspeed CMAK CSC thread that will direct you to a safer and more effective piece that'll prevent that from happening.

ZSpeed CMAK Clutch Movement Alteration Kit CSC Delete

Which Clutch would you recommend?
The Z Philes likes this.
mokhan996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #80 (permalink)
Base Member
 
SPDKING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 195
Drives: 14' Nissan 370Z SP
Rep Power: 1994
SPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokhan996 View Post
Holy s**t, didn't think Mishimoto would ever be that bad. Yeah after talking to several people on this forum, including yourself, for sure getting the Z1.
Z1, Stillen or Fast Intentions, they all use the same stuff I think except the Stillen only has 25 row and the Fast Intentions is the cheapest. I think the Stillen is the most expensive (not by much) if you don't care about the protective hose wrapping like on the Z1. Once you get the Z1, you probably will notice the car takes a longer time for the oil to warm up (at least that's what I noticed) but I think everyone has said that's normal. You can also get the Concept Z 34 Row Oil cooler. Again, they all basically use the same things, this one is actually the same exact thing as the Z1 but you get rewards points

https://conceptzperformance.com/czp-...x4_p_32824.php
mokhan996 likes this.
__________________
Stillen front and rear sway bars/Continental Extreme Tires/Annex Suspension Coilovers/Z1 Oil Cooler/Borla Catback Exhaust/K&N Drop in filters/SPL
SPDKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #81 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,154
Drives: 15 370Z Nismo 6MT
Rep Power: 75237
OptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Oil coolers are usually on sale during black friday and whatever folks call their "summer" sale

If you wanna save a few bucks, wait till around july. I think Z1 offered the 36 row for the price of the 24 row or something like that
SPDKING and mokhan996 like this.
__________________
OptionZero Build Thread
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #82 (permalink)
Base Member
 
SPDKING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 195
Drives: 14' Nissan 370Z SP
Rep Power: 1994
SPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero View Post
Oil coolers are usually on sale during black friday and whatever folks call their "summer" sale

If you wanna save a few bucks, wait till around july. I think Z1 offered the 36 row for the price of the 24 row or something like that
Good call. I was gonna say wait to black Friday but that's a long ways away.
mokhan996 likes this.
__________________
Stillen front and rear sway bars/Continental Extreme Tires/Annex Suspension Coilovers/Z1 Oil Cooler/Borla Catback Exhaust/K&N Drop in filters/SPL
SPDKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #83 (permalink)
Now a Ronin Samurai
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fayettenam,Pennsyltucky
Age: 63
Posts: 22,521
Drives: 2011 Nismo GM 6M
Rep Power: 2684408
Rusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokhan996 View Post
I've seen my car hit a MAX 230? Even at 200 its fairly high but honestly hitting 200+ is "normal operation" on our 370's. Limp mode from my understanding would be for example if you're lugging your engine, it'll go into limp mode to prevent catastrophic failure. Yes CSC is Clutch Slave Cylinder. For some odd reason, the Slave Cylinder are notorious to fail on our cars. Whether its 50k Miles of 5k Miles, it'll go when it wants. Here's a link to the Zspeed CMAK CSC thread that will direct you to a safer and more effective piece that'll prevent that from happening.

ZSpeed CMAK Clutch Movement Alteration Kit CSC Delete

Which Clutch would you recommend?
The ECU will start to pull timing at 240F oil temp. The higher it gets, the more timing it will pull. Once it gets to 280F. Then it's limp mode.
SPDKING and mokhan996 like this.
__________________
Group C Driver, After Mods-334HP-279Tor. STD.|F.I. LTH|CBE/12" Resonators|Stillen Gen3|285/35-19, 345/30-19 Mich PSS on 9.5x19 and 12x19 ForgeLine Rims, Nismo RC Brake Ducts,|UpRev Tuned|http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...o-journal.html
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #84 (permalink)
Base Member
 
SPDKING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 195
Drives: 14' Nissan 370Z SP
Rep Power: 1994
SPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The ECU will start to pull timing at 240F oil temp. The higher it gets, the more timing it will pull. Once it gets to 280F. Then it's limp mode.
Will it go into limp mode just over 220? Mine before the oil cooler did that once in traffic and I remember it wasn't that high. I think someone did say that gauge isn't that accurate so I could've been at 240
__________________
Stillen front and rear sway bars/Continental Extreme Tires/Annex Suspension Coilovers/Z1 Oil Cooler/Borla Catback Exhaust/K&N Drop in filters/SPL
SPDKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #85 (permalink)
Now a Ronin Samurai
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fayettenam,Pennsyltucky
Age: 63
Posts: 22,521
Drives: 2011 Nismo GM 6M
Rep Power: 2684408
Rusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDKING View Post
Will it go into limp mode just over 220? Mine before the oil cooler did that once in traffic and I remember it wasn't that high. I think someone did say that gauge isn't that accurate so I could've been at 240
Oil temp. No. Got to be 280F. The ECU seeing what the gauge is seeing. Once the ECU starts to pull timing. The car will run worse. There may be another reason why it might have gone into limp mode. But I don't know what the reason would be.
MZ DAIZY likes this.
__________________
Group C Driver, After Mods-334HP-279Tor. STD.|F.I. LTH|CBE/12" Resonators|Stillen Gen3|285/35-19, 345/30-19 Mich PSS on 9.5x19 and 12x19 ForgeLine Rims, Nismo RC Brake Ducts,|UpRev Tuned|http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...o-journal.html
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #86 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicagoland
Age: 33
Posts: 2,480
Drives: A Garage Queen
Rep Power: 1415399
BettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Oil temp. No. Got to be 280F. The ECU seeing what the gauge is seeing. Once the ECU starts to pull timing. The car will run worse. There may be another reason why it might have gone into limp mode. But I don't know what the reason would be.
Sounds to me like the car needed some viagra.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
cv129 likes this.
__________________
'14 MB Nismo | F.I. | Berk | Z1 | MotorDyne | ZSpeed | SPL | Swift | Eibach | SoulFunction | Coolerworx | Craft Square | CF Element | Sparco | MAMS | EcuTek
Betty Mods
BettyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #87 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Claxton, Ga
Posts: 7,473
Drives: 2013 Nismo 370z
Rep Power: 1232531
Spooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDKING View Post
Z1, Stillen or Fast Intentions, they all use the same stuff I think except the Stillen only has 25 row and the Fast Intentions is the cheapest. I think the Stillen is the most expensive (not by much) if you don't care about the protective hose wrapping like on the Z1.
No sure where you got your information. Nobody buys the Stillen kits because you can't use a factory oil filter (unless they have recently changed them). The Fast Intentions are the highest quality due to the braided lines they use (Teflon Inserts and last a long time) and they only sell a Setrab 34 row oil cooler. They also offer everything needed to remove the factory oil cooler 2012 to current car. The Z1 you can cheap out and get a Mocal oil cooler which is not as good. They also offer 19 row, 24 row, and 34 row oil coolers. The braided lines are just standard rubber lines. Nothing special.

So, the Z1 and Fast Intentions oil cooler kits are both good. If you get the Z1 make sure to get the Setrab oil cooler. I just like the FI kit better due to the
fact that they offered everything needed for the 2012 and up cars.

Last edited by Spooler; 06-06-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Spooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #88 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
cv129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 2,197
Drives: 09 Nismo, 16 Nismo
Rep Power: 37035
cv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyZ View Post
Sounds to me like the car needed some viagra.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
lol for like 8 yrs on this board, I've never associated "limp mode" with Viagra, until now

I can never say "limp mode" with a straight face now, thanks BettyZ
JARblue, Rusty, Spooler and 1 others like this.
__________________
Setrab | RE-71 | SPL | JRZ | Nismo | ARK | Whiteline | RacingBrake | CJM Oil Pan | Ti shield
cv129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #89 (permalink)
Base Member
 
SPDKING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 195
Drives: 14' Nissan 370Z SP
Rep Power: 1994
SPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond reputeSPDKING has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
No sure where you got your information. Nobody buys the Stillen kits because you can't use a factory oil filter (unless they have recently changed them). The Fast Intentions are the highest quality due to the braided lines they use (Teflon Inserts and last a long time) and they only sell a Setrab 34 row oil cooler. They also offer everything needed to remove the factory oil cooler 2012 to current car. The Z1 you can cheap out and get a Mocal oil cooler which is not as good. They also offer 19 row, 24 row, and 34 row oil coolers. The braided lines are just standard rubber lines. Nothing special.

So, the Z1 and Fast Intentions oil cooler kits are both good. If you get the Z1 make sure to get the Setrab oil cooler. I just like the FI kit better due to the
fact that they offered everything needed for the 2012 and up cars.
Yes there are people with the Stillen ones despite that. That was the reason why I personally didn't get the Stillen but that may not be someone else's reason. I see teenagers with the Mishimoto ones all the time too, even though it's well known the quality isn't all there. It could be timing or lack of knowledge but I've come across 6 people with the Stillen kit.
__________________
Stillen front and rear sway bars/Continental Extreme Tires/Annex Suspension Coilovers/Z1 Oil Cooler/Borla Catback Exhaust/K&N Drop in filters/SPL
SPDKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #90 (permalink)
Track Member
 
abm89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 592
Drives: 2011 370Z | 2016 WRX
Rep Power: 6720
abm89 has a reputation beyond reputeabm89 has a reputation beyond reputeabm89 has a reputation beyond reputeabm89 has a reputation beyond reputeabm89 has a reputation beyond reputeabm89 has a reputation beyond reputeabm89 has a reputation beyond reputeabm89 has a reputation beyond reputeabm89 has a reputation beyond reputeabm89 has a reputation beyond reputeabm89 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I have the Stillen kit. The only thing I'd say is get a Setrab Core.
SPDKING likes this.
__________________
Complete Parts List Here

abm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[FOR SALE] Oil Cooler, Transmission Cooler, struts, strut mounts Mulli007 Parts for sale (Private Classifieds) 14 05-04-2018 09:42 AM
Install location of Stillen SC cooler AND Stillen Oil cooler AND ps cooler imazman Forced Induction 7 12-18-2016 04:15 PM
DIY: Stillen 19 Row Oil Cooler Install - driver side (stock PS cooler unmoved) djpathfinder DIY Section (Do-It-Yourself) 21 11-30-2015 06:47 AM
Nissan Motorsports Oil Cooler vs. Stillen Oil Cooler Dustin@Z1 Engine & Drivetrain 158 03-10-2014 03:27 PM
7AT 4.08 Gear swap QUAIFE LSD Trans cooler diff cooler matcop Engine & Drivetrain 17 09-07-2013 11:09 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2