Nissan 370Z Forum  

Lapping a 3.7L vs 6.2L

Originally Posted by Spooler I run on Carbotech XP8's year around. No issues. Don't think you know much about running race pads on the streets. The end of your street

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > General > The Lounge (Off Topic) > Other Vehicles


Like Tree30Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
ZCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 425
Drives: 2013 370Z
Rep Power: 20075
ZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
I run on Carbotech XP8's year around. No issues. Don't think you know much about running race pads on the streets. The end of your street is not an issue. The problem comes when doing interstate driving in a cold rain. That is when you need to tap the brakes every now and then to keep heat in the pads/rotors. I have done it for years. Who cares about brake dust. I prefer to stop. Loose your brakes in the triple digits once and you will make adjustments to your opinion.
The end of my street is a 45MPH dead stop after almost 3 miles.. Next braking is another 3 miles and is a high speed right followed by esses (i LOVE my commute!).

My opinion is that street pads are for street cars - you donít have to mess with keeping brakes warm, and youíre not going to get fade in normal road driving. Triple digits? Mph? Not on any street that I know of. Thatís instant impoundment and roadside license suspension where I live, even on the fastest highways.

I ran Ferodo DS2500 on track cars on the street, and PFC-01. Spring to autumn. Both brands squealed. One set of 2500ís was really bad. None had particularly useful cold bite. Itís noticeable. On track, I need a lap or two to get them and tires to really bite. If you havenít done it, you wouldnít understand. And neither of these are considered true dedicated track pads. I used Hawk HPS on another car, and they were basically hyped up street pads. None of these are particularly dusty. HP+ can be terrible in that regard, as are some others.
ZCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Claxton, Ga
Posts: 5,212
Drives: 2013 Nismo 370z
Rep Power: 158000
Spooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCanadian View Post
The end of my street is a 45MPH dead stop after almost 3 miles.. Next braking is another 3 miles and is a high speed right followed by esses (i LOVE my commute!).

My opinion is that street pads are for street cars - you donít have to mess with keeping brakes warm, and youíre not going to get fade in normal road driving. Triple digits? Mph? Not on any street that I know of. Thatís instant impoundment and roadside license suspension where I live, even on the fastest highways.

I ran Ferodo DS2500 on track cars on the street, and PFC-01. Spring to autumn. Both brands squealed. One set of 2500ís was really bad. None had particularly useful cold bite. Itís noticeable. On track, I need a lap or two to get them and tires to really bite. If you havenít done it, you wouldnít understand. And neither of these are considered true dedicated track pads. I used Hawk HPS on another car, and they were basically hyped up street pads. None of these are particularly dusty. HP+ can be terrible in that regard, as are some others.
I never said I was on the street when I lost my brakes in the triple digits.
ZCanadian likes this.
Spooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
osbornsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: WHAT
Posts: 2,492
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Rep Power: 417
osbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCanadian View Post
Anyway, you gonna treat us to some video / pix of your latest tracking experience, or what???
:-)
Knew i forgot something!!!!
Which video setup do you like better??

Each video is my hottest lap from my 1st and 2nd events.

Setup #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwkz_no1P20

================================================== ========

Setup #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQKnCJPsRIk
Hotrodz and ZCanadian like this.
__________________
2018 Camaro SS 1LE (455hp) - 2011 Nissan 370z (333hp) - 2004 VW R32 (240hp) - 2000 Civic Si (160hp)
osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
ZCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 425
Drives: 2013 370Z
Rep Power: 20075
ZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Good driving. I think there are still some seconds in there, too.

By "setup", do you just mean the camera location and screen overlays, or is the car set up differently between these?

Assuming it's the presentation you are referring to, I like them both. Always a fan of POV racing videos, but the outside perspective is different in a good way. It also lets you review your steering inputs (which are nice and smooth btw). It does attract the following unsolicited advice, though (the danger of posting any video online - ignore or take onboard as you wish). I think your steering wheel is too far from your seat back. Or your arms are too short :-). I like your 9 and 3 grip - very well done - but when you turn to near 12 O'Clock, your arm is too straight and I think you might be reaching your shoulders forward at that. Try positioning your wheel and seat so that with your hips and shoulders pressed against the seat back, you can put your arms on the 12O'Clock position with YOUR WRISTS resting on the wheel (don't take your shoulders off the backrest). This will make it easier on your body to stay still and braced in the corners. If you can plant your feet on the dead pedal or firewall behind clutch and behind the brake with a slightly bent knee, then the seat is the right distance back so adjust the wheel towards you or make the backrest more vertical. A stable, more comfortable driver is a faster driver!
JARblue and osbornsm like this.
ZCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rated Z
 
JARblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 38
Posts: 29,288
Drives: 2011 370Z Sport MT
Rep Power: 1839595
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I like the POV but the side camera has better quality without a windshield in front of it. I'd try the POV centered on the hood or roof.
__________________

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | RJM | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #21 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
2011 Nismo#91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,984
Drives: slowly
Rep Power: 15
2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute2011 Nismo#91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

The best locations for exterior cameras for me is on the sides so I can see just where the tires are exactly. High up top is pretty good too as long as the angle is wide enough. For cool looking shots, any low mounting position is great.
2011 Nismo#91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
osbornsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: WHAT
Posts: 2,492
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Rep Power: 417
osbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I'll have to experiment with different Gopro locations.

I try to keep the Gopro suctioned to the glass, has best grip there.

We'll try some other spots next!

__________________
2018 Camaro SS 1LE (455hp) - 2011 Nissan 370z (333hp) - 2004 VW R32 (240hp) - 2000 Civic Si (160hp)
osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
osbornsm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: WHAT
Posts: 2,492
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Rep Power: 417
osbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond reputeosbornsm has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCanadian View Post
Good driving. I think there are still some seconds in there, too.

By "setup", do you just mean the camera location and screen overlays, or is the car set up differently between these?

Assuming it's the presentation you are referring to, I like them both. Always a fan of POV racing videos, but the outside perspective is different in a good way. It also lets you review your steering inputs (which are nice and smooth btw). It does attract the following unsolicited advice, though (the danger of posting any video online - ignore or take onboard as you wish). I think your steering wheel is too far from your seat back. Or your arms are too short :-). I like your 9 and 3 grip - very well done - but when you turn to near 12 O'Clock, your arm is too straight and I think you might be reaching your shoulders forward at that. Try positioning your wheel and seat so that with your hips and shoulders pressed against the seat back, you can put your arms on the 12O'Clock position with YOUR WRISTS resting on the wheel (don't take your shoulders off the backrest). This will make it easier on your body to stay still and braced in the corners. If you can plant your feet on the dead pedal or firewall behind clutch and behind the brake with a slightly bent knee, then the seat is the right distance back so adjust the wheel towards you or make the backrest more vertical. A stable, more comfortable driver is a faster driver!
Thank you for the real-life examples of how my driving might differ from the "ideal." I do have a pretty "chill" track driving position. I've always focused on distance to the pedals. Seems i've forgotten to position the steering wheel for lapping duty.

Plus, i hold on to that wheel for dear life in the corners
ZCanadian likes this.
__________________
2018 Camaro SS 1LE (455hp) - 2011 Nissan 370z (333hp) - 2004 VW R32 (240hp) - 2000 Civic Si (160hp)
osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
ZCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 425
Drives: 2013 370Z
Rep Power: 20075
ZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornsm View Post
Thank you for the real-life examples of how my driving might differ from the "ideal." I do have a pretty "chill" track driving position. I've always focused on distance to the pedals. Seems i've forgotten to position the steering wheel for lapping duty.

Plus, i hold on to that wheel for dear life in the corners
I hear you there, brother! Depending on what rubber you are running, I suspect that you can pull some significant G's in that car!

If you need a bit more help being planted in place without going to a full 4+ point harness solution, consider a CG-Lock device:
https://store.windingroad.com/cg-loc...dd-on-p49.aspx
You can get it from a number of race shops or online. One size fits all, and it locks the lap belt independent of the shoulder part so that you can snug your hips tight. If you then tighten the shoulder strap and tug hard to activate the car's built-in lock, you can get a huge amount of sticking power in the seat. Even if you don't lock the shoulder belt, this does keep the slack from sliding down into the lap belt, so you stay more planted in the seat.

I bet a buddy at the track will have one with him - ask if you can borrow it for a couple of laps to see if it is for you. Install is 30 seconds, and it leaves no marks once you've removed it. If you use it a lot, you may find that it wears the seat belt fabric slightly, right at the buckle.

Keep up the good work, and keep shaving off those 10ths!
ZCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
ZCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 425
Drives: 2013 370Z
Rep Power: 20075
ZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeZCanadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default

In case you didn't believe me when I said that "I hear you there", check out the G meter...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 5.01.01 PM.jpg (34.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 5.01.42 PM.jpg (44.1 KB, 6 views)
osbornsm likes this.
ZCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enough pads for small lapping day? runwhatyabrng Track / Autocross / Drifting / Dragstrip 5 07-08-2016 10:19 PM
Gingerman Raceway - Five minutes of lapping osbornsm Track / Autocross / Drifting / Dragstrip 9 11-06-2014 08:19 PM
Lapping Day - HPR, Colorado supunna_picta Track / Autocross / Drifting / Dragstrip 3 11-11-2013 03:28 PM
HPR November 16 lapping day plan SurfDog Western Region 11 10-18-2013 02:14 PM
Circuit Grand Bayou Lapping Day! TypeOne Southern Region 4 01-14-2011 12:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2