Nissan 370Z Forum  

Whatís your take on add ons?

As some of you know, Iím finally back into my Z after 9 long awaited years and I got into a 2020 50th anniversary edition. Iíve been struggling with the

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z General Area > Nissan 370Z General Discussions

Like Tree63Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 02:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
SophiaZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,413
Drives: 2020 50th anniv 7AT
Rep Power: 14
SophiaZ is just really niceSophiaZ is just really niceSophiaZ is just really niceSophiaZ is just really niceSophiaZ is just really nice
Default Whatís your take on add ons?

As some of you know, Iím finally back into my Z after 9 long awaited years and I got into a 2020 50th anniversary edition. Iíve been struggling with the thought of adding a rear spoiler but would like yalls opinions on if itís a bad idea or not. I probably wonít have the car for more than 2 years and if it becomes a collectors edition, I donít want to ruin the value of it by adding a spoiler it didnít come with. I already have plans on changing out the exhaust, HFCs, cold air intake and adding window tint but I will be keeping all the original parts if/when I trade in. What do you guys think? Adding a spoiler or no?
SophiaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
Optimiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 418
Drives: 2012 Nissan 370Z MT
Rep Power: 13430
Optimiser has a reputation beyond reputeOptimiser has a reputation beyond reputeOptimiser has a reputation beyond reputeOptimiser has a reputation beyond reputeOptimiser has a reputation beyond reputeOptimiser has a reputation beyond reputeOptimiser has a reputation beyond reputeOptimiser has a reputation beyond reputeOptimiser has a reputation beyond reputeOptimiser has a reputation beyond reputeOptimiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophiaZ View Post
As some of you know, Iím finally back into my Z after 9 long awaited years and I got into a 2020 50th anniversary edition. Iíve been struggling with the thought of adding a rear spoiler but would like yalls opinions on if itís a bad idea or not. I probably wonít have the car for more than 2 years and if it becomes a collectors edition, I donít want to ruin the value of it by adding a spoiler it didnít come with. I already have plans on changing out the exhaust, HFCs, cold air intake and adding window tint but I will be keeping all the original parts if/when I trade in. What do you guys think? Adding a spoiler or no?
No spoiler
2011 Nismo#91 likes this.
Optimiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
SOUTHZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: ALABAMA
Posts: 285
Drives: 09 NISSAN 370Z CS M6
Rep Power: 41
SOUTHZZ has a reputation beyond reputeSOUTHZZ has a reputation beyond reputeSOUTHZZ has a reputation beyond reputeSOUTHZZ has a reputation beyond reputeSOUTHZZ has a reputation beyond reputeSOUTHZZ has a reputation beyond reputeSOUTHZZ has a reputation beyond reputeSOUTHZZ has a reputation beyond reputeSOUTHZZ has a reputation beyond reputeSOUTHZZ has a reputation beyond reputeSOUTHZZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default

You could be overly optimistic on the "collectors" value of your 2020Z.
Many thought the same about the 2005 Z33 anniversary edition.
Make the car yours.You want add-ons. Go for it.
Enjoy.
SOUTHZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
crazy4oldcars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SE Texas
Posts: 382
Drives: '16 Nismo Tech
Rep Power: 14773
crazy4oldcars has a reputation beyond reputecrazy4oldcars has a reputation beyond reputecrazy4oldcars has a reputation beyond reputecrazy4oldcars has a reputation beyond reputecrazy4oldcars has a reputation beyond reputecrazy4oldcars has a reputation beyond reputecrazy4oldcars has a reputation beyond reputecrazy4oldcars has a reputation beyond reputecrazy4oldcars has a reputation beyond reputecrazy4oldcars has a reputation beyond reputecrazy4oldcars has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Fora car I'm only going to keep for 2 years, I wouldn't bother with any mods. Of course, I've never only kept a car for 2 years, plus, I'm a 60-year-old tightwad, lol.


Kirk B.
Rusty and sx moneypit like this.
crazy4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
SouthArk370Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Arkansas
Posts: 8,326
Drives: 2014 Challenger
Rep Power: 307417
SouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSouthArk370Z has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Unless you plan on racing, you don't need a rear spoiler. But if you like the way a spoiler looks, go for it - I doubt the 50th Anniversary model will be worth much more than any other 370Z (ie, not a collector car), so it's not like you will ruin the car. YMMV
__________________
Steering Lock Links - Search The370Z Bookmarklet - FSM @ NICOclub
Mankind has progressed past the need for war but we haven't evolved that far. - NachoMahma
SouthArk370Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 159
Drives: 20 Nissan 370Z PR M6
Rep Power: 10068
viiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond reputeviiv has a reputation beyond repute
Default

If you don't want to hurt the potential collectors value of a car (you never know, maybe a future Fast and Furious type movie will feature our car, causing it's value to skyrocket) Did people who brought bitcoin for a dollar a piece know it was going to be $10,000 plus, doesn't hurt to preserve.

Anyways if you don't want to hurt the value of any car, rule #1: Don't drill holes in the sheet metal.

I am a fellow owner of a 2020; a base Passion Red, I debated on getting the OEM spoiler, and even though we are dealing with OEM parts here, couldn't bring myself to drill holes. Then I realized, the spoiler doesn't make it look better. It just looks different, and the spoiler-less model has it's own unique, almost Porsche like beauty.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, and you are itching to spend money on upgrading your baby, honestly, start with the fluids. I have an engineering background, and let me tell you, uprated fluids can cover or mask design flaws and limitations. This is what I recommend:

1. Motul RBF600 in clutch. DO THIS NOW. I had the dealer change this fluid before I drove off the lot. Each mile you drive right now with your crappy factory fluid, is wearing out your CSC. Our CSC's are weak, but if you change out your fluid religiously every year with fresh RBF600, your CSC may last you 200000+ km. Also RBF600 in brakes.

2. After you finish the break in period of 2000km, change out the rest of the fluids with the following full synthetics: Motul ATF VI in power steering. Redline 5W-30 in engine. Redline MT-85 in transmission. Redline 75W90 in rear differential.

As for parts, the truth of the matter is the only upgrades that generally don't hurt (and could slightly enhance) a car's value are first-party OEM performance parts (such as Nismo for Nissan for example). I may upgrade to a Nismo R-tune exhaust, as I get a bump in sound, performance and build quality. I just want a bit louder, but not cop magnet loud and I don't want to tank the value of my car.

PS. Instead of getting a spoiler, get the OEM front lip. I got it for my base, makes the front end look so much better and more aggressive and its only like $120 and doesn't hurt your resale.

Last edited by viiv; 10-01-2020 at 08:16 AM.
viiv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Track Member
 
Cyber370's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Montreal, QC Canada
Posts: 614
Drives: 2016 370Z Nismo 6MT
Rep Power: 7362
Cyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond reputeCyber370 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Add a Nissan spoiler purchased through Nissan dealer and you'll be fine. But, I doubt there'll be any short term collectability for your car. Unless, Nissan royally screws up the new 400Z by making it electric or turning it into a SUV. That doesn't seem the case.
__________________
"Thatís when you know youíve found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.Ē-Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Cyber370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
axmea?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,123
Drives: WELL ZED PW 6MT
Rep Power: 46023
axmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Wait for 50 years and enjoy the show. That's if you have the time and a wife who won't bug you to get rid of it for whatever reason. Mod it to you heart's content.
Spooler likes this.
__________________

>MyZ's Album< NISMO Convert/ECUTEK/Takeda CAI/F.I. HFC NR CB Carbon/F.I. 34 Row Oil Cooler/4.08 Final Drive /Powertrix+Swifts/Hotchkis/SPL/Whiteline/TWM/Zoom Engineering/EVO-R/AeroJacket Vented CF Fenders + CF Spoiler/Avant Garde-WORK/NST/Morimoto Halo/STi Clear Lenses/Carbon Signal Automotive/RJM Performance/ZSpeed Clutch Flywheel CSC delete
axmea? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
cooltoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 13,584
Drives: 14 PW 370Z S/T MT
Rep Power: 176447
cooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond reputecooltoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Add the spoiler.
Spooler likes this.
__________________

Member of kenchan's "photoshopped mods" and "proper offsets" gang.
cooltoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 93
Drives: 2020 370Z 6M
Rep Power: 1035
dave11 has a reputation beyond reputedave11 has a reputation beyond reputedave11 has a reputation beyond reputedave11 has a reputation beyond reputedave11 has a reputation beyond reputedave11 has a reputation beyond reputedave11 has a reputation beyond reputedave11 has a reputation beyond reputedave11 has a reputation beyond reputedave11 has a reputation beyond reputedave11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viiv View Post
If you don't want to hurt the potential collectors value of a car (you never know, maybe a future Fast and Furious type movie will feature our car, causing it's value to skyrocket) Did people who brought bitcoin for a dollar a piece know it was going to be $10,000 plus, doesn't hurt to preserve.

Anyways if you don't want to hurt the value of any car, rule #1: Don't drill holes in the sheet metal.

I am a fellow owner of a 2020; a base Passion Red, I debated on getting the OEM spoiler, and even though we are dealing with OEM parts here, couldn't bring myself to drill holes. Then I realized, the spoiler doesn't make it look better. It just looks different, and the spoiler-less model has it's own unique, almost Porsche like beauty.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, and you are itching to spend money on upgrading your baby, honestly, start with the fluids. I have an engineering background, and let me tell you, uprated fluids can cover or mask design flaws and limitations. This is what I recommend:

1. Motul RBF600 in clutch. DO THIS NOW. I had the dealer change this fluid before I drove off the lot. Each mile you drive right now with your crappy factory fluid, is wearing out your CSC. Our CSC's are weak, but if you change out your fluid religiously every year with fresh RBF600, your CSC may last you 200000+ km. Also RBF600 in brakes.

2. After you finish the break in period of 2000km, change out the rest of the fluids with the following full synthetics: Motul ATF VI in power steering. Redline 5W-30 in engine. Redline MT-85 in transmission. Redline 75W90 in rear differential.

As for parts, the truth of the matter is the only upgrades that generally don't hurt (and could slightly enhance) a car's value are first-party OEM performance parts (such as Nismo for Nissan for example). I may upgrade to a Nismo R-tune exhaust, as I get a bump in sound, performance and build quality. I just want a bit louder, but not cop magnet loud and I don't want to tank the value of my car.

PS. Instead of getting a spoiler, get the OEM front lip. I got it for my base, makes the front end look so much better and more aggressive and its only like $120 and doesn't hurt your resale.

viiv

I also have a 2020. I had the R-Tune installed. It truly makes it a different car. It makes beautiful music.
dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
SophiaZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,413
Drives: 2020 50th anniv 7AT
Rep Power: 14
SophiaZ is just really niceSophiaZ is just really niceSophiaZ is just really niceSophiaZ is just really niceSophiaZ is just really nice
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axmea? View Post
Wait for 50 years and enjoy the show. That's if you have the time and a wife who won't bug you to get rid of it for whatever reason. Mod it to you heart's content.
Well, considering how I don’t have to worry about a wife bugging me, I do as I please as I AM the wife
axmea?, Optimiser, Spooler and 2 others like this.
SophiaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 2,655
Drives: 15 370Z Nismo 6MT
Rep Power: 159725
OptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond repute
Default

the issue is drilling holes for a spoiler on a trunk/hatch that does not have holes

frankly, the no-holes hatch is sort of valuable, esp to a 2015+ nismo owner that wants to swap spoilers
Optimiser likes this.
__________________
OptionZero Build Thread
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
axmea?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,123
Drives: WELL ZED PW 6MT
Rep Power: 46023
axmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond reputeaxmea? has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophiaZ View Post
Well, considering how I donít have to worry about a wife bugging me, I do as I please as I AM the wife
I love it!!!!
__________________

>MyZ's Album< NISMO Convert/ECUTEK/Takeda CAI/F.I. HFC NR CB Carbon/F.I. 34 Row Oil Cooler/4.08 Final Drive /Powertrix+Swifts/Hotchkis/SPL/Whiteline/TWM/Zoom Engineering/EVO-R/AeroJacket Vented CF Fenders + CF Spoiler/Avant Garde-WORK/NST/Morimoto Halo/STi Clear Lenses/Carbon Signal Automotive/RJM Performance/ZSpeed Clutch Flywheel CSC delete
axmea? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Now a Ronin Samurai
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fayettenam,Pennsyltucky
Age: 65
Posts: 30,401
Drives: 2011 Nismo GM 6M
Rep Power: 2684424
Rusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophiaZ View Post
Well, considering how I donít have to worry about a wife bugging me, I do as I please as I AM the wife
If you are only going to keep the Z for 2 years. Don't do anything to it. You won't get your money back. If you're going to keep it longer. Do what your heart wants. It's not going to be increasing in value for quite some time. It's more like after 30 years or more.
__________________
Group C Driver, After Mods-334HP-279Tor. STD.|F.I. LTH|CBE/12" Resonators|Stillen Gen3|285/35-19, 345/30-19 Mich PSS on 9.5x19 and 12x19 ForgeLine Rims, Nismo RC Brake Ducts,|UpRev Tuned|http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...o-journal.html
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Memphis,Tn.
Age: 64
Posts: 2,733
Drives: 2010 370Z PG 6 spd
Rep Power: 2684366
sx moneypit has a reputation beyond reputesx moneypit has a reputation beyond reputesx moneypit has a reputation beyond reputesx moneypit has a reputation beyond reputesx moneypit has a reputation beyond reputesx moneypit has a reputation beyond reputesx moneypit has a reputation beyond reputesx moneypit has a reputation beyond reputesx moneypit has a reputation beyond reputesx moneypit has a reputation beyond reputesx moneypit has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
If you are only going to keep the Z for 2 years. Don't do anything to it. You won't get your money back. If you're going to keep it longer. Do what your heart wants. It's not going to be increasing in value for quite some time. It's more like after 30 years or more.
Rusty, Spooler, jchammond and 1 others like this.
sx moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whatís up Z family! JohnKnee New Forum Member 5 01-26-2020 08:24 AM
Whatís next? MZ DAIZY Nissan 370Z General Discussions 14 10-24-2018 07:57 PM
Whatís the best head unit for a 370z goon94 Audio & Video 15 01-12-2018 07:37 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2