Nissan 370Z Forum  

75k Miles - Time for Suspension Rebuild - Help!

My 2009 Sport 370's suspension is dead stock. It's a daily driver so I'm pretty happy with the suspension as is but I'm definitely noticing that some stuff is worn/wearing

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Brakes & Suspension

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghostvette
  • 1 Post By Tractionless

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 45
Drives: 370z TS M6
Rep Power: 9
ecoplunge is on a distinguished road
Default 75k Miles - Time for Suspension Rebuild - Help!

My 2009 Sport 370's suspension is dead stock. It's a daily driver so I'm pretty happy with the suspension as is but I'm definitely noticing that some stuff is worn/wearing out. Biggest issue besides a little looseness is tramlining. It's getting downright scary under braking.

I'd like to do the rebuild in two major phases, first, all the bushings/wear parts and second the springs/shocks. I'd really like some advice on stage one right now. Since I'm not loaded right now I need to go at it slowly. In about five months it will be a second car so I'm perfectly fine going for performance over comfort.

Questions:

Is there a particular part of the suspension that is the major contributor to tramlining as it wears?
What parts should I be replacing in order to return the suspension to its original glory?
Are there parts that wear really quickly as opposed to others or do the suspension wear components mostly go downhill together?
Are there any parts that should be uprated as opposed to going OEM? I don't care about NVH unless it's brutal.

I'd like any technical details you've got as I'd like to understand what parts wear, why they wear and what affects they have as they wear. I'd love to come out of this knowing what a particular issue (like tramlining) comes from so I can know the cause and not just throw parts at it.

Thanks in advance for the advice and feedback.
ecoplunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Track Member
 
B&W_Evader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 972
Drives: slower than before
Rep Power: 383
B&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond reputeB&W_Evader has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Tramlining comes form having wide tires
Can be aggrivated by poor alignment
I think spacers will make it worse
Check ball joints and wheel bearings first.
Try to stay out of grooves in the street. Brake on the flat areas,not on angled surfaces.
Do everything at once so you don't need to do multiple wheel alignments
__________________
|RIP|6spd-sport|OSG-LSD|XP8|RBF600|Eibach Sways|RE-71R|FI-34Row|Gen3-CAI|Yaw P.S.|
B&W_Evader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
Halfkiddio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Knoxville
Age: 26
Posts: 250
Drives: 09 RAE 370Z
Rep Power: 6
Halfkiddio will become famous soon enough
Default

The FLCA (Front Lower Control Arm) bushings can cause tramlining. I had a noticeable decrease when I went to a set of SPL front bushings on the FLCA's. I have yet to do the Impact Bushings however.

If the Z will be a second car soon, I HIGHLY recommend going with everything SPL. My Z is my daily and I will eventually have just about everything in the SPL catalog on my Z.

Spacers don't make the problem worse really from what I have noticed on my car. The stock bushings causing dynamic alignment changes will do the most to cause movement under braking.

Multiple alignments aren't a big deal if you have a trustworthy Firestone shop around you for a lifetime alignment.
Halfkiddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 45
Drives: 370z TS M6
Rep Power: 9
ecoplunge is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W_Evader View Post
Tramlining comes form having wide tires
Can be aggrivated by poor alignment
I think spacers will make it worse
Check ball joints and wheel bearings first.
Try to stay out of grooves in the street. Brake on the flat areas,not on angled surfaces.
Do everything at once so you don't need to do multiple wheel alignments
Recent alignment helped maybe 20%. Tires in the last part of their lives is probably about a third of the issue now. Those are coming soon.

Hadn't thought about wheel bearings. I'll check them out.

Are ball joints something that can reliably checked for play on our cars or are they just usually just replaced based on mileage/abuse levels?

I have a lifetime alignment already! Plan on using that a lot 😁
ecoplunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 45
Drives: 370z TS M6
Rep Power: 9
ecoplunge is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfkiddio View Post
The FLCA (Front Lower Control Arm) bushings can cause tramlining. I had a noticeable decrease when I went to a set of SPL front bushings on the FLCA's. I have yet to do the Impact Bushings however.

If the Z will be a second car soon, I HIGHLY recommend going with everything SPL. My Z is my daily and I will eventually have just about everything in the SPL catalog on my Z.

Spacers don't make the problem worse really from what I have noticed on my car. The stock bushings causing dynamic alignment changes will do the most to cause movement under braking.

Multiple alignments aren't a big deal if you have a trustworthy Firestone shop around you for a lifetime alignment.
I've been suspecting the FLCA bushings. I imagine visual inspection won't tel you much unless they're really gone. What are the impact bushings - never heard of that before? On the FCLA's I've heard great things about delrin but can't find any suppliers. Are they only available as a custom machined part? And what's the material used on SPL's stuff?

My spacers made a small difference when I put them on but seemed very minor.

Check on the lifetime alignment. Very good investment.
ecoplunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
Halfkiddio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Knoxville
Age: 26
Posts: 250
Drives: 09 RAE 370Z
Rep Power: 6
Halfkiddio will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoplunge View Post
I've been suspecting the FLCA bushings. I imagine visual inspection won't tel you much unless they're really gone. What are the impact bushings - never heard of that before? On the FCLA's I've heard great things about delrin but can't find any suppliers. Are they only available as a custom machined part? And what's the material used on SPL's stuff?

My spacers made a small difference when I put them on but seemed very minor.

Check on the lifetime alignment. Very good investment.
The visual inspection won't do much unless they are severely worn out.

The impact bushing is the big round bushing on the rear mounting point of the FLCA.

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that makes off the shelf Delrin stuff that you can just order. It would have to be custom made. Which isn't a big deal if you have a spare set of every bushinh you want to replace.

SPL is solid aluminum, spherical bearings, or heim joints. No rubber or delrin at all in any of their products for the 370. Here are their offerings for the 370Z. I have their solid diff bushing kit, and the front bushings for the FLCA's.

Nissan - 09+ 370Z (Z34) - SPLParts
Halfkiddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
Halfkiddio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Knoxville
Age: 26
Posts: 250
Drives: 09 RAE 370Z
Rep Power: 6
Halfkiddio will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoplunge View Post
Recent alignment helped maybe 20%. Tires in the last part of their lives is probably about a third of the issue now. Those are coming soon.

Hadn't thought about wheel bearings. I'll check them out.

Are ball joints something that can reliably checked for play on our cars or are they just usually just replaced based on mileage/abuse levels?

I have a lifetime alignment already! Plan on using that a lot 😁
One thing that can be a good sign of failing bushings on the front is if you have inside and outside edge wear on the tires. When mine were getting really bad, I would be killing the inner and outer tread on any tire I had because of the dynamic toe change the bushings were causing. That wear characteristic has been very minimal since I changed the one set of bushings out.
Halfkiddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 45
Drives: 370z TS M6
Rep Power: 9
ecoplunge is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfkiddio View Post
One thing that can be a good sign of failing bushings on the front is if you have inside and outside edge wear on the tires. When mine were getting really bad, I would be killing the inner and outer tread on any tire I had because of the dynamic toe change the bushings were causing. That wear characteristic has been very minimal since I changed the one set of bushings out.
I have noticed increased inner and outer shoulder wear recently. It matches my impression of the slow increase in tramlining.

What kind of increase in noise/vibration did you see with the SPL FLCA bushings? Any downsides to them?

Any thoughts on the affect of upper control arm bushing? Do they just not wear as quickly? And how about the rear? Same thing?
ecoplunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sic Semper Tyrannis
 
Ghostvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee KS
Posts: 5,132
Drives: 15 Magma Red 6MT
Rep Power: 2684372
Ghostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W_Evader View Post
Tramlining comes form having wide tires
Can be aggrivated by poor alignment
I think spacers will make it worse
Check ball joints and wheel bearings first.
Try to stay out of grooves in the street. Brake on the flat areas,not on angled surfaces.
Do everything at once so you don't need to do multiple wheel alignments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoplunge View Post
Recent alignment helped maybe 20%. Tires in the last part of their lives is probably about a third of the issue now. Those are coming soon.

Hadn't thought about wheel bearings. I'll check them out.

I have a lifetime alignment already! Plan on using that a lot 😁

Wheel bearings on all four corners are a relatively easy thing to fix. They come as assemblies, so it's 4 bolts on each (depending on front or rear) to remove them from the spindles and replace them. Amazon has the Beck-Arnley parts for the front @ $96 each and Timken for the rear @ $54 each. GL
cigarclifford likes this.
__________________
2015 Magma Red 6MT Sport Tech/2012 Fairlady MB 6MT Base (RIP 08032018)https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/370Z/Coupe/
Ghostvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: VA
Posts: 21
Drives: 2014 370 White MT
Rep Power: 4
El Zombo is on a distinguished road
Default

Feedback request:Daily Driver complete suspension rebuild plan.
El Zombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
90 ST's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,861
Drives: 90 and 15 GMC Sierra
Rep Power: 417
90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute
Default

city vs hwy driving must kill the suspension a lot quicker...I had 250,000 miles and no real suspension problems...
I would go for an alignment first and go from there, other than wanting to do some upgrades that might be all you need.
__________________
Not driving your car to keep it in nice shape, is like not wanting to smash your girlfriend so she stays tight for the next guy.
90 ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Track Member
 
Tractionless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Atlantic SE
Posts: 735
Drives: '10 K23 ST 7AT
Rep Power: 20
Tractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond reputeTractionless has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 ST View Post
city vs hwy driving must kill the suspension a lot quicker...I had 250,000 miles and no real suspension problems...
I would go for an alignment first and go from there, other than wanting to do some upgrades that might be all you need.
Did you have the OE (from factory) springs, shocks, struts with 250k on them?
90 ST likes this.
__________________
Toys Not Tots
Tractionless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
90 ST's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,861
Drives: 90 and 15 GMC Sierra
Rep Power: 417
90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute90 ST has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionless View Post
Did you have the OE (from factory) springs, shocks, struts with 250k on them?
I sure did.
Replaced the front hubs at about 150k...something like that. I have a thread I started with problems after 200k. Other than CSC there wasn't a lot really.
__________________
Not driving your car to keep it in nice shape, is like not wanting to smash your girlfriend so she stays tight for the next guy.
90 ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SoCal
Age: 28
Posts: 383
Drives: Infiniti FX35
Rep Power: 32
MaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond reputeMaysEffect has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W_Evader View Post
Tramlining comes form having wide tires
Can be aggrivated by poor alignment
You can get tram lining with any tire big or small. Alignment and suspension slop is the only culprit.

Larger tires and stretched tires are just prone to substantially higher levels of uneven wear, which will make tram lining much more apparent.
MaysEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bushings, suspension

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's about time, gutting the Nismo suspension. Spooler Brakes & Suspension 243 12-30-2020 10:47 AM
Time to upgrade the suspension ... AlWakRa Brakes & Suspension 28 12-12-2016 02:59 PM
[WTB] OEM suspension ~low miles harman.khinda Parts for sale (Private Classifieds) 2 03-04-2016 01:45 PM
Suspension for improved lap time... osbornsm Brakes & Suspension 21 01-25-2016 11:34 AM
[FOR SALE] OEM suspension -1k miles - $170 shipped RedlineAZ Parts for sale (Private Classifieds) 5 05-14-2013 12:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2