Nissan 370Z Forum  

Clear weather strip yellowing

I have a pearl white 2013 Roadster and the clear weather strip on the convertible trunk lid is starting to yellow, and looks ugly when the top is down. Anyone

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Other 370Z Models > Nissan 370Z Roadster (Convertible)

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By B_Major
  • 2 Post By gbhrps
  • 1 Post By B_Major
  • 2 Post By vman12
  • 1 Post By rspray2000
  • 1 Post By 10MPlayer
  • 1 Post By NismoUFO

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6
Drives: Ď13 370Z Roadster
Rep Power: 1
B_Major is on a distinguished road
Default Clear weather strip yellowing

I have a pearl white 2013 Roadster and the clear weather strip on the convertible trunk lid is starting to yellow, and looks ugly when the top is down. Anyone have this issue or have a fix??

My Z:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4dkKkinXZcN5C1hD6
vman12 likes this.

Last edited by B_Major; 11-24-2018 at 07:47 PM.
B_Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
OldGuyFla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Indian Lake Estates Fl
Posts: 1,049
Drives: 14 370Z TS Roadster
Rep Power: 19122
OldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuyFla has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Major View Post
I have a pearl white 2013 Roadster and the clear weather strip on the convertible trunk lid is starting to yellow, and looks ugly when the top is down. Anyone have this issue or have a fix??

My Z:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4dkKkinXZcN5C1hD6
Mine isn't looking too good anymore either. I would think that it would be a good size job to replace it. I can't think of anything that might clean it up.
__________________
OldGuyFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 164
Drives: 2016 RDSTR TS 6spd
Rep Power: 406
gbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond reputegbhrps has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As with many of the plastic headlights over the years, as well as plastic convertible back windows, those plastic film overlays that prevent abrasion of the tonneau cover paint do turn yellow with time and exposure to sunlight.

There are 3 sections to the "compartment door protector" (Nissan's name for the sticky one side clear film). The larger sections on each side are $51.05 each and the center section $29.34 USD. Essentially you can remove the old yellow ones with a hair drier or heat gun, as they will peal right off with a little heat to loosen the glue.

After removing the protective plastic seal off of the new ones, they simply press right onto the tonneau cover (what Nissan should have called the top cover in the first place).

Seems pretty expensive, and I would wonder if a similar material couldn't be sourced elsewhere and cut to the correct shape before application to the car. There are lots of companies that make clear bra's for cars that use this material, and they must have a source from 3M or similar for it.

Gene
vman12 and rspray2000 like this.
gbhrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6
Drives: Ď13 370Z Roadster
Rep Power: 1
B_Major is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhrps View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

As with many of the plastic headlights over the years, as well as plastic convertible back windows, those plastic film overlays that prevent abrasion of the tonneau cover paint do turn yellow with time and exposure to sunlight.

There are 3 sections to the "compartment door protector" (Nissan's name for the sticky one side clear film). The larger sections on each side are $51.05 each and the center section $29.34 USD. Essentially you can remove the old yellow ones with a hair drier or heat gun, as they will peal right off with a little heat to loosen the glue.

After removing the protective plastic seal off of the new ones, they simply press right onto the tonneau cover (what Nissan should have called the top cover in the first place).

Seems pretty expensive, and I would wonder if a similar material couldn't be sourced elsewhere and cut to the correct shape before application to the car. There are lots of companies that make clear bra's for cars that use this material, and they must have a source from 3M or similar for it.

Gene
Yeah! Thatís what Iím looking for!! Thank you Gene!
vman12 likes this.
B_Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: OH
Posts: 63
Drives: '14 370z roadster M6
Rep Power: 1059
vman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

I just replaced mine. I ordered the 3 parts from factorynissanpartsonline.com

Nissan Compartment Door Protector

972A0-1ET0B (972A0M)
972A1-1ET0B (972A0MA)
972A2-1ET0B (972A2M)


Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
972A0-1ET0B Compartment Door Protector $54.22
972A1-1ET0B Compartment Door Protector $54.22
972A2-1ET0B Compartment Door Protector $32.55

Subtotal:*$140.99
Estimated Expedited Shipping:*$8.61
Total:*$149.60


The replacement is not exactly like the stock (OEM) but is pretty similar. Also noticed that this replacement has a blue tint whereas the one on my car was clear. Not sure if it will become more clear with time.

I left the car under the sun for a while so the trunk was already pretty hot. I then used a heat gun as needed, but the sun did most of the work for me. Even so, after removing all the tape there was tons of tape residue left. I tried using "goo gone" and some other stuff. It worked a little but what worked the best is WD-40. I had to do it a few times though. Put on WD-40 let is soak in, then scrape. Then put on some more, then scrape that off. Eventually it was all clean. At the end of the day my hands and fingers were falling off LOL from all that scraping.

I didn't have a squeegee so I did my best trying to remove the bubbles but sadly there were many spots where bubbles are still present - oh well, it still looks better than it looked before.

I did notice that there is a blue border around the the tape. Wonder if i should have cut that off...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old1.JPG (194.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg old2.JPG (154.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 3residue.JPG (105.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 4scraper.JPG (104.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 5clean wd40.JPG (100.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 6new tape.JPG (117.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 7final.JPG (83.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg part1.JPG (188.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg part2.JPG (159.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg part3.JPG (144.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg diagram.jpg (60.5 KB, 13 views)
bunk and rspray2000 like this.

Last edited by vman12; 05-19-2019 at 03:27 PM.
vman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
bunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,551
Drives: 2010 370z Roadster
Rep Power: 1406838
bunk has a reputation beyond reputebunk has a reputation beyond reputebunk has a reputation beyond reputebunk has a reputation beyond reputebunk has a reputation beyond reputebunk has a reputation beyond reputebunk has a reputation beyond reputebunk has a reputation beyond reputebunk has a reputation beyond reputebunk has a reputation beyond reputebunk has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman12 View Post
I just replaced mine. I ordered the 3 parts from factorynissanpartsonline.com

Nissan Compartment Door Protector

972A0-1ET0B (972A0M)
972A1-1ET0B (972A0MA)
972A2-1ET0B (972A2M)


Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
972A0-1ET0B Compartment Door Protector $54.22
972A1-1ET0B Compartment Door Protector $54.22
972A2-1ET0B Compartment Door Protector $32.55

Subtotal:*$140.99
Estimated Expedited Shipping:*$8.61
Total:*$149.60


The replacement is not exactly like the stock (OEM) but is pretty similar. Also noticed that this replacement has a blue tint whereas the one on my car was clear. Not sure if it will become more clear with time.

I left the car under the sun for a while so the trunk was already pretty hot. I then used a heat gun as needed, but the sun did most of the work for me. Even so, after removing all the tape there was tons of tape residue left. I tried using "goo gone" and some other stuff. It worked a little but what worked the best is WD-40. I had to do it a few times though. Put on WD-40 let is soak in, then scrape. Then put on some more, then scrape that off. Eventually it was all clean. At the end of the day my hands and fingers were falling off LOL from all that scraping.

I didn't have a squeegee so I did my best trying to remove the bubbles but sadly there were many spots where bubbles are still present - oh well, it still looks better than it looked before.

I did notice that there is a blue border around the the tape. Wonder if i should have cut that off...
Looks good! Mine is yellowing and chipping off. Ill need to get this done soon. Thanks for sharing!
__________________
-Drop in K&N Filter -Invidia Gemini CBE -Z1 Oil Cooler -Swift Springs - EcuTek -Forgestar F14 -SPL Camber Links -Akebono BBK Upgrade -Z1 Premium SS Lines -SPL Diff Bushings -SPL FUCAs
bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: MA
Posts: 3
Drives: 2013 Roadster 7AT
Rep Power: 1
rspray2000 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhrps View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Seems pretty expensive, and I would wonder if a similar material couldn't be sourced elsewhere and cut to the correct shape before application to the car. There are lots of companies that make clear bra's for cars that use this material, and they must have a source from 3M or similar for it.

Gene
Seriously, I canít believe there isnít an eBay seller still making a healthy profit off these pieces. Thanks, and to Vman for the responses.
bunk likes this.
rspray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Rodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Newcastle Australia
Posts: 30
Drives: 12 370Z Ríster Red M
Rep Power: 1
Rodd is on a distinguished road
Default

Gee, that blue doesn't look right. Are you sure there is no outer protective film that needs peeling off?
Rodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: OH
Posts: 63
Drives: '14 370z roadster M6
Rep Power: 1059
vman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

If i had to do it again i would trim the border to get rid of the blue line. I would also try to figure out how to make sure the bubbles are gone....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
vman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: OH
Posts: 63
Drives: '14 370z roadster M6
Rep Power: 1059
vman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond reputevman12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodd View Post
Gee, that blue doesn't look right. Are you sure there is no outer protective film that needs peeling off?
Nope i checked its pretty blue

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
vman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
10MPlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sacratomato
Posts: 284
Drives: your mama wild.
Rep Power: 8
10MPlayer has much to be proud of10MPlayer has much to be proud of10MPlayer has much to be proud of10MPlayer has much to be proud of10MPlayer has much to be proud of10MPlayer has much to be proud of10MPlayer has much to be proud of10MPlayer has much to be proud of10MPlayer has much to be proud of
Default

Funny mine was kind of yellow and dirty looking from day one. I have a pearl white 2012 that I bought in May of 2013 so it had sat on the dealer's lot for a year getting old and dirty.
vman12 likes this.
__________________
About my name: I occasionally play a Conn 10M Tenor Saxophone - so 10MPlayer
10MPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 15
Drives: 17 Sport Roadster
Rep Power: 4
NismoUFO is on a distinguished road
Default

Add me to the list of messed up film. My only saving grace for the yellowing is my car is Chicane Yellow so I don’t see any yellow that’s not supposed to be there. But, I do have deteriorating film with white gluelike material - almost as if the film is melting. Looks a little like your vman. I am working on another idea for this film though. Has anyone considered a UV stable wrap for the top part of the compartment area?
vman12 likes this.
NismoUFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Rail Weather Strip Removal cb1228 Nissan 370Z Roadster (Convertible) 4 09-02-2017 06:20 AM
Yellowing CMC fluid quickboat Engine & Drivetrain 29 07-02-2014 07:28 PM
Those with aftermarket hoods - weather strip. OldFart Exterior & Interior 3 03-24-2014 11:04 PM
pearl white yellowing.... SmallermouseZ Detailing / Washing / Waxing / Cosmetic Maintenance and Repair 4 12-09-2012 12:06 AM
Yellowing Problem dennis26 Nissan 370Z Roadster (Convertible) 1 10-23-2011 08:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2