Nissan 370Z Forum  

Remove oem oil cooler?

Originally Posted by Iammeowwwwww So I'm also in NorCal and regularly visit Sonoma, Thunderhill and Laguna Seca, I'll actually be back at Laguna in 2 days . I've noticed that

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > DIY Section (Do-It-Yourself)


Like Tree7Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2022, 08:39 PM   #31 (permalink)
Ronin Samurai - Assassin
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fayettenam,Pennsyltucky
Age: 67
Posts: 34,403
Drives: 2011 Nismo GM 6M
Rep Power: 2684434
Rusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iammeowwwwww View Post
So I'm also in NorCal and regularly visit Sonoma, Thunderhill and Laguna Seca, I'll actually be back at Laguna in 2 days .
I've noticed that as I've gotten faster, the hobby has gotten more expensive and the car runs hotter. Who would have thought LOL.

My main question for this thread is if it would be best to keep the oil cooling independent from the coolant? While tracking in 107F, My oil temps would get to 260 in 3 hot laps. I start to cool down, peak at my coolant gauge, and it's 1 dot in the red LOL or from it... I don't remember.

Would this be due to the coolant providing additional cooling to the extremely hot oil? Or is the oil being cooled efficiently, and heated up going through the oem cooler, defeating the purpose of the 34 row?

I can't honestly remember the routing. Is it from the pickup>filter>z1 cooler>oem cooler> engine? Or something else?

Just questions for debate. While I agree that it's a pain working with the filter, I don't mind the extra work for additional cooling.
Get rid of the oem oil cooler It's just keeping the oil hot. What ever the coolant temp is. The oil cooler will not cool below that with the oem cooler.
BettyZ likes this.
__________________

浪人 - 殺し屋
"The Difficult Anytime, The Impossible By Appointment Only"
http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...o-journal.html
Rusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
filip00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: slovenia
Posts: 373
Drives: 370z pack
Rep Power: 67115
filip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Let me just "hijack" this thread and ask a sufficiently on-topic question so that I'm not hated

I'm looking into buying an oil cooler kit, and I was thinking about the 25 or so row kit from Z1. I have a stock 370z without the oil cooler. Does the kit include *everything* needed, such as holder for the filter that's long enough (or the sandwich plate fits the stock one?), as well as other stuff? I know this might be in some of the other threads, but I felt now is the right time to jump in here and ask
filip00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:14 AM   #33 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicagoland
Age: 36
Posts: 5,260
Drives: A Garage Queen
Rep Power: 2684370
BettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip00 View Post
Let me just "hijack" this thread and ask a sufficiently on-topic question so that I'm not hated

I'm looking into buying an oil cooler kit, and I was thinking about the 25 or so row kit from Z1. I have a stock 370z without the oil cooler. Does the kit include *everything* needed, such as holder for the filter that's long enough (or the sandwich plate fits the stock one?), as well as other stuff? I know this might be in some of the other threads, but I felt now is the right time to jump in here and ask
I believe it does, yes.
sx moneypit and filip00 like this.
__________________
'14 MB Nismo | Boost Lab 6870 1.32 AR 553 HP / 471 ft.-lbs.
Betty Mods
BettyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Florida
Posts: 217
Drives: G37S
Rep Power: 26847
THE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond reputeTHE BULL has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iammeowwwwww View Post
So I'm also in NorCal and regularly visit Sonoma, Thunderhill and Laguna Seca, I'll actually be back at Laguna in 2 days .
I've noticed that as I've gotten faster, the hobby has gotten more expensive and the car runs hotter. Who would have thought LOL.

My main question for this thread is if it would be best to keep the oil cooling independent from the coolant? While tracking in 107F, My oil temps would get to 260 in 3 hot laps. I start to cool down, peak at my coolant gauge, and it's 1 dot in the red LOL or from it... I don't remember.

Would this be due to the coolant providing additional cooling to the extremely hot oil? Or is the oil being cooled efficiently, and heated up going through the oem cooler, defeating the purpose of the 34 row?

I can't honestly remember the routing. Is it from the pickup>filter>z1 cooler>oem cooler> engine? Or something else?

Just questions for debate. While I agree that it's a pain working with the filter, I don't mind the extra work for additional cooling.
Delete it, the Oem cooler's capabilities are superseded tremendously by an external cooler. It also has a con which is the heating of the oil by design since the coolant sees a faster rise in temp than oil. Once oil passes 215F it starts to play an effect on the coolant as they're both trying to influence one another they both end up rising with time X load.

Divorcing both fluid systems is the way to go. Understand that its not the way to go for a production vehicle, one that needs to perform the same in North Russia as well as in the Mojave which is why the cooler and heater come in. By design this becomes an issue once performance is applied.


Quote:
Originally Posted by filip00 View Post
Let me just "hijack" this thread and ask a sufficiently on-topic question so that I'm not hated

I'm looking into buying an oil cooler kit, and I was thinking about the 25 or so row kit from Z1. I have a stock 370z without the oil cooler. Does the kit include *everything* needed, such as holder for the filter that's long enough (or the sandwich plate fits the stock one?), as well as other stuff? I know this might be in some of the other threads, but I felt now is the right time to jump in here and ask
Not to sound like an ******* however Z1 as well as CZP do a fantastic pictoral job with their products.

If you check out the Z1 kit you'll see it brings all of the brackets to hold the cooler, the way it gets the oil out/in the engine is by a plate, you'd have to specify if you want thermostatic plate or not in which you should do thermostatic.

For you it would just take removing the oil filter stud and installing the Z1 plate with the new stud. The end look will be a similar to OEM with Oil cooler/warmer plate, instead of water it would be seeing oil in/out.
The kit is made as a "bolt on" piece and instructions will yield proper installation. Best part about a system like that is once the plate an lines are ran any additional temp control can be adjusted with a switch to a bigger/smaller cooler.

A big enough cooler will just see more cycling of the thermostatic plate vs a medium size. The plate controls all of the temperature which is why is so important.
THE BULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:01 AM   #35 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
filip00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: slovenia
Posts: 373
Drives: 370z pack
Rep Power: 67115
filip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Thanks for the info, I was just wanting to reconfirm the info about the stud for the filter/sandwich plate. I'm still on the fence as to take 25 or 34 row cooler. Thermostat is a nobrainer.
filip00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:17 AM   #36 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Chicagoland
Age: 36
Posts: 5,260
Drives: A Garage Queen
Rep Power: 2684370
BettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip00 View Post
Thanks for the info, I was just wanting to reconfirm the info about the stud for the filter/sandwich plate. I'm still on the fence as to take 25 or 34 row cooler. Thermostat is a nobrainer.
Since you're running a thermostatic plate you might as well go for a 34 row. 25 row is sufficient for a N/A car but it's not like you're going to overcool the oil with a therm plate on there.
JARblue and filip00 like this.
__________________
'14 MB Nismo | Boost Lab 6870 1.32 AR 553 HP / 471 ft.-lbs.
Betty Mods
BettyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:33 AM   #37 (permalink)
Base Member
 
FrankEtier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: McKinney, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 143
Drives: 2014 370Z SC
Rep Power: 11604
FrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip00 View Post
Thanks for the info, I was just wanting to reconfirm the info about the stud for the filter/sandwich plate. I'm still on the fence as to take 25 or 34 row cooler. Thermostat is a nobrainer.
I want to remove the factory oil cooler also. On my car I canít change the filter with disconnecting the oil cooler lines. Makes a mess.

Since installing my oil cooler and thermostatic plate the engine oil and water temp match exactly after warmed up. The oil never cools more than engine temp. This all makes sense now why the oil wonít drop any lower than water temp.

Will the oil filter stud shipped with the Z1 Mocal plate work after removal of the factory cooler? This is on a Ď14.

Thanks
__________________
Ď14 Topgunz Speedworks Rotrex Supercharged VR30 7AT 370Z Magma Red.
@liquid.magma
FrankEtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 01:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Base Member
 
FrankEtier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: McKinney, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 143
Drives: 2014 370Z SC
Rep Power: 11604
FrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond reputeFrankEtier has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankEtier View Post
I want to remove the factory oil cooler also. On my car I canít change the filter with disconnecting the oil cooler lines. Makes a mess.

Since installing my oil cooler and thermostatic plate the engine oil and water temp match exactly after warmed up. The oil never cools more than engine temp. This all makes sense now why the oil wonít drop any lower than water temp.

Will the oil filter stud shipped with the Z1 Mocal plate work after removal of the factory cooler? This is on a Ď14.

Thanks
Update: Spoke to Z1 earlier. I ordered the 09-12 370Z oil filter stud. This will allow factory cooler to be removed and mocal sandwich plate installed.
__________________
Ď14 Topgunz Speedworks Rotrex Supercharged VR30 7AT 370Z Magma Red.
@liquid.magma
FrankEtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Stillen 19 Row Oil Cooler Install - driver side (stock PS cooler unmoved) djpathfinder DIY Section (Do-It-Yourself) 21 11-30-2015 05:47 AM
Nissan Motorsports Oil Cooler vs. Stillen Oil Cooler Dustin@Z1 Engine & Drivetrain 158 03-10-2014 02:27 PM
[FOR SALE] AT Transmission Cooler with Setrab 19 Row cooler zakimak Parts for sale (Private Classifieds) 4 03-03-2012 11:44 AM
How would i remove this? oleg Wheels & Tires 12 08-10-2011 04:23 PM
How do I remove the ECU? zeecarr DIY Section (Do-It-Yourself) 4 04-09-2010 10:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2