Nissan 370Z Forum  

Suspension Question

I might get shot for starting this thread but I tried a search and couldn't find an answer for my question. If this is a re-post I'll gladly delete it.

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Brakes & Suspension

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KamiSpeed
  • 1 Post By Thadragon

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Shawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 143
Drives: 2012 Fairlady Z MT
Rep Power: 10
Shawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant future
Default Suspension Question

I might get shot for starting this thread but I tried a search and couldn't find an answer for my question. If this is a re-post I'll gladly delete it.

Within the next month or so I am going to start working on the car suspension wise. I am looking at either BC coilovers, or swifts and Koni yellows. KW's are a bit out of my price range since I won't be doing any of the install myself. I have done a sh**load of reading on this forum.

I like the fact with BC everything is adjustable, although I do not plan on slamming the car. Won't work on these Jersey roads, so the swift drop should be adequate enough. My question is this, from strictly a performance standpoint, BC coilovers or Swift and Koni Yellows? I do spirited driving, and do plan on hitting the track maybe twice a year.

Also, I am looking for that flush look once I drop the car. With 245/40 and 285/35 on sport rays, what size spacers should I look into? I am guessing 20mm front and 25mm rear?

Thanks guys
Shawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
The370Z.com Sponsor
 
KamiSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 5,888
Drives: 09 370z
Rep Power: 21
KamiSpeed is a splendid one to beholdKamiSpeed is a splendid one to beholdKamiSpeed is a splendid one to beholdKamiSpeed is a splendid one to beholdKamiSpeed is a splendid one to beholdKamiSpeed is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to KamiSpeed
Default

Depending on what your plan with the car is where you start.

If you get the Swift + Koni combo the drop is the drop you are going to have. No adjusting. So if you get the new Rays and put them on and dont like the way your drop looks with them, there is nothing you can do.

If you went with the BC Racing coilovers you will have the pleasure of dropping your car to any desired height that you want. Though the ride will be a little more harsh than the Swift Koni combo. Since the shocks are valved differently. So you will give up a little comfort but will have the car the way you want it. Now if you add Swift coilover springs to the BC coilover it will be more comfortable. You could go that route, but makes the coiloves $320 more.

Also when you drop the Z you will need at the very least SPC camber bolts in the rear to correct the camber. If you are looking to go lower than 1 inch, I would suggest SPL rear camber links. Best on the market.

If you want flush, yes 20mm and 25mm. Looks the best IMO.

Let me know if you have any other questions, im here to help!
jdsto likes this.
__________________
Wheel Fitment and Suspension Guru!! | Support@Kamispeed.com
Check out what our Customers are saying about us!
Earn Reward Points! $1 = 2 Points (Redeem Points for $5 ~ $100 Off Your Orders)
KamiSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Shawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 143
Drives: 2012 Fairlady Z MT
Rep Power: 10
Shawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant futureShawa has a brilliant future
Default

Thank you for the help man! Yea I am aware of rear camber arms and toe bolts, def will be getting those. I wasn't entirely sure about the difference performance wise with the swift koni combo or BC coilovers.
I had no clue you can use swift springs on the BC coilovers! I saw a couple people selling the swifts once they bought coilovers so I assumed it wouldn't work.
Alright so here is a question, your personal opinion. BC and swift combo, or KW coilovers haha? I think price wise they're pretty similar.
Shawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
exsanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 10,499
Drives: you mad..
Rep Power: 3696
exsanity has a reputation beyond reputeexsanity has a reputation beyond reputeexsanity has a reputation beyond reputeexsanity has a reputation beyond reputeexsanity has a reputation beyond reputeexsanity has a reputation beyond reputeexsanity has a reputation beyond reputeexsanity has a reputation beyond reputeexsanity has a reputation beyond reputeexsanity has a reputation beyond reputeexsanity has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiSpeed View Post
Depending on what your plan with the car is where you start.

If you get the Swift + Koni combo the drop is the drop you are going to have. No adjusting. So if you get the new Rays and put them on and dont like the way your drop looks with them, there is nothing you can do.

If you went with the BC Racing coilovers you will have the pleasure of dropping your car to any desired height that you want. Though the ride will be a little more harsh than the Swift Koni combo. Since the shocks are valved differently. So you will give up a little comfort but will have the car the way you want it. Now if you add Swift coilover springs to the BC coilover it will be more comfortable. You could go that route, but makes the coiloves $320 more.

Also when you drop the Z you will need at the very least SPC camber bolts in the rear to correct the camber. If you are looking to go lower than 1 inch, I would suggest SPL rear camber links. Best on the market.

If you want flush, yes 20mm and 25mm. Looks the best IMO.

Let me know if you have any other questions, im here to help!
Can you not adjust the BC's dampening?
I thought the BC's were capable of adjusting ride height as well as dampening levels.
exsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
The370Z.com Sponsor
 
vividracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Age: 34
Posts: 7,306
Drives: 350Z,370Z,GTR
Rep Power: 35
vividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to vividracing
Default

Another option for you would be to go with these HKS Hypermax 4 coilovers that i have on sale right now. They're about $800 off normal retail price, so its probably the best deal you will find, and its an awesome setup.

PM me if you're interested.
__________________

Rocky @ Vivid ♦ 480.966.3040 x236 ♦ Rocky@vividracing.com
Email, PM, or call me directly for aggressive The370Z.com member pricing!!!
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
The370Z.com Sponsor
 
KamiSpeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 5,888
Drives: 09 370z
Rep Power: 21
KamiSpeed is a splendid one to beholdKamiSpeed is a splendid one to beholdKamiSpeed is a splendid one to beholdKamiSpeed is a splendid one to beholdKamiSpeed is a splendid one to beholdKamiSpeed is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to KamiSpeed
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa View Post
Thank you for the help man! Yea I am aware of rear camber arms and toe bolts, def will be getting those. I wasn't entirely sure about the difference performance wise with the swift koni combo or BC coilovers.
I had no clue you can use swift springs on the BC coilovers! I saw a couple people selling the swifts once they bought coilovers so I assumed it wouldn't work.
Alright so here is a question, your personal opinion. BC and swift combo, or KW coilovers haha? I think price wise they're pretty similar.
I would personally go with BC racing + Swift combo. Will be a comfortable coilover. The price between KW and BC Racing + Swift will be much different. Probably around $800 more for the KWV3 setup.

When I mean Swift springs on the BC Racing coilovers, I am talking about "Swift Coilover Metric Springs" NOT the Swift Spec Rs everyone has on their stock or Koni shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsanity View Post
Can you not adjust the BC's dampening?
I thought the BC's were capable of adjusting ride height as well as dampening levels.
Yes of course you can! You can adjust the height and dampening.
__________________
Wheel Fitment and Suspension Guru!! | Support@Kamispeed.com
Check out what our Customers are saying about us!
Earn Reward Points! $1 = 2 Points (Redeem Points for $5 ~ $100 Off Your Orders)
KamiSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Thadragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las vegas
Posts: 122
Drives: 2014 370z sport edit
Rep Power: 7
Thadragon is on a distinguished road
Default

If I were you go with HKS Hipermax 4 GT coilovers. I Have it and so far I'm very happy with it!!!
vividracing likes this.
Thadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A suspension/rotor question? Gibby1113 Brakes & Suspension 2 10-24-2013 11:04 PM
Random suspension question involving toe tsj Brakes & Suspension 3 03-29-2013 10:17 PM
suspension question :) zellsexy Brakes & Suspension 6 06-26-2012 10:30 PM
Suspension Question! CrownR426 Brakes & Suspension 15 01-19-2011 09:43 PM
Nismo Suspension Question - Plz Help motoextreme Brakes & Suspension 22 11-29-2009 02:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2