Nissan 370Z Forum  

Constant Water Spots on MB

So I'm beginning to feel like a failure at washing my car. I feel like I'm doing everything right, but I still end up with a bunch of water spots

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Detailing / Washing / Waxing / Cosmetic Maintenance and Repair

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member
 
xweaponx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Carolina
Age: 30
Posts: 100
Drives: 2011 370Z
Rep Power: 10
xweaponx is on a distinguished road
Default Constant Water Spots on MB

So I'm beginning to feel like a failure at washing my car. I feel like I'm doing everything right, but I still end up with a bunch of water spots and they are beginning to be harder and harder to get out.
My 370z is Magnetic Black and I got it fully detailed (wash/buff/polish/wax) about a month ago. All the water spots disappeared. I wash my car on base where the water is supposedly "hard" and they have came back since.

I'll describe my washing process so you guys can state if I'm doing something wrong or something that may be causing these water spots.

First I was the car from top to bottom in straight lines and not circles. I wash the car in sections while keeping the whole car wet. I start with the roof. In-between washing each panel I hose off the sponge and spray it with high pressure to get the dirt off. Dip it in the soap again and start on the side panels on each side separately. Then I do the back of the car, the front, and the front bumper all separately. Pretty much every panel is done separately. While I am washing it I always keep the whole car wet. Then when I am completely done washing the whole car I spray it over once more to get all the excess, if any, soap off. Then I dry the horizontal surfaces first with microfiber towels in straight, smooth lines. I keep ending up with water spots no matter what.

I'm beginning to think it may be the mixture of soap to water I'm using somehow, even though I'm following the directions on the bottle.
It could also just be the water. I'm thinking about getting a filter for the hose.

Any suggestions or ideas on what could be causing these p.i.t.a spots?
xweaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Track Member
 
didymus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Providence / Boston
Posts: 564
Drives: 280 / 370Z
Rep Power: 302
didymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond reputedidymus has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Are the towels absorbing all the water?
What soap are you using?
didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Track Member
 
shaun66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: n
Posts: 837
Drives: MB 370z 7AT
Rep Power: 13
shaun66 is on a distinguished road
Default

Black paint FTW.
shaun66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Track Member
 
scottIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Castle, Indiana
Posts: 764
Drives: '12 370Z
Rep Power: 51
scottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Pick up an in-line filter with a rechargeable canister. I've got mine mounted to the side of my house, but it sounds like you might have to take yours with you, so a little stand and a shorty hose would work.

I've just got a single stage, but here's the style I'm talking about:

Deluxe Clean Water Filter Kit, 2 step water filter system, water filter for car washing, inline hose filter

You can get them at about any home improvement store. To recharge the medium, I just store the filter in saltwater (one of those plastic spaghetti storage containers is perfect) and then just hook it up for car washing.

Wish I could find where I got mine from, but I think it was only about $50.

My 'car wash' hose also runs through my water softener, so that helps as well.
scottIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Base Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Los Angeles
Posts: 16
Drives: 2011 Black Nismo
Rep Power: 10
Winters is on a distinguished road
Default

Are the water spots spread all over the car, like residue?

Or are they in certain places only?
__________________
2011 Magnetic Black NISMO: Kenwood DDX418, Polk Audio, Dynamat, Z1 25 row oil cooler, 4.08 differential, Stillen G3's
Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Base Member
 
xweaponx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Carolina
Age: 30
Posts: 100
Drives: 2011 370Z
Rep Power: 10
xweaponx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by didymus View Post
Are the towels absorbing all the water?
What soap are you using?
As far as I can tell yeah, but I am just using smaller microfibers from advanced auto
"Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax" The yellow kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottIN View Post
Pick up an in-line filter with a rechargeable canister. I've got mine mounted to the side of my house, but it sounds like you might have to take yours with you, so a little stand and a shorty hose would work.

I've just got a single stage, but here's the style I'm talking about:

Deluxe Clean Water Filter Kit, 2 step water filter system, water filter for car washing, inline hose filter

You can get them at about any home improvement store. To recharge the medium, I just store the filter in saltwater (one of those plastic spaghetti storage containers is perfect) and then just hook it up for car washing.

Wish I could find where I got mine from, but I think it was only about $50.

My 'car wash' hose also runs through my water softener, so that helps as well.
Yeah, I'd have to bring it with me because its just a little parking spot with a hose. If you could find one that you'd recommend me buying it'd definitely help. I have a Home Depot and Lowe's pretty close so I could always stop by there, but I want to know what I'm talking about before I go because I don't trust employees opinions on odd stuff like this.
You recharge it with salt water?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Winters View Post
Are the water spots spread all over the car, like residue?

Or are they in certain places only?
They're mostly on the horizontal surfaces(hood, roof, spoiler). They are usually just small dark circles, but some have a hint of white like they're trapped minerals.
xweaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Track Member
 
scottIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Castle, Indiana
Posts: 764
Drives: '12 370Z
Rep Power: 51
scottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Found the one I have.

Garden Hose Filters – Pure Water Products, LLC

I've got the clear + the water softener cartridge. Look slike they've gone up a bit since I bought mine 10 years ago - imagine that. But still only $59.

Just like a water softener, the medium is cleaned / recharged with salt.
scottIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member
 
rebe945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: middleburg hts, ohio
Posts: 491
Drives: 2009 370Z black 7at
Rep Power: 12
rebe945 is on a distinguished road
Default Heres the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottIN View Post
Found the one I have.

Garden Hose Filters – Pure Water Products, LLC

I've got the clear + the water softener cartridge. Look slike they've gone up a bit since I bought mine 10 years ago - imagine that. But still only $59.

Just like a water softener, the medium is cleaned / recharged with salt.
Wash (Soap) the whole car completely, not in sections. I know this goes against the grain of what we've done in the past. Drying soap will NOT cause water spots. Rinse with the nozzle off. then dry with microfiber cloths. Important. Any residue of water should be removed with Meguires Ultimate Detailer. This will take out water spots once you've moved the car and water comes out from the mirrors and other areas. Thats it. Mines black and perfect.
rebe945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Base Member
 
xweaponx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Carolina
Age: 30
Posts: 100
Drives: 2011 370Z
Rep Power: 10
xweaponx is on a distinguished road
Default

Nice! I'll have to order that. Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'll post some pictures of my water spots later so everyone can better help to make sure what type of spots they are.

I live in Indiana by the way too. Just stationed here in NC. I live in Laporte County.
xweaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Base Member
 
xweaponx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Carolina
Age: 30
Posts: 100
Drives: 2011 370Z
Rep Power: 10
xweaponx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebe945 View Post
Wash (Soap) the whole car completely, not in sections. I know this goes against the grain of what we've done in the past. Drying soap will NOT cause water spots. Rinse with the nozzle off. then dry with microfiber cloths. Important. Any residue of water should be removed with Meguires Ultimate Detailer. This will take out water spots once you've moved the car and water comes out from the mirrors and other areas. Thats it. Mines black and perfect.
How would leaving the soap on it help me any though? I do use the sheeting method when rinsing it off.
I just recently started using the detailer after a wash.
I need to get the current water spots off now to see if these methods work.
xweaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Track Member
 
Infamous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 656
Drives: 2012 Nissan 370z mt
Rep Power: 10
Infamous is a jewel in the roughInfamous is a jewel in the roughInfamous is a jewel in the rough
Default

Cosign on the ultimate detailer. It gets any of your spots out. I also have a MB and the ultimate detailer works magic!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Infamous; 06-26-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Infamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Track Member
 
scottIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Castle, Indiana
Posts: 764
Drives: '12 370Z
Rep Power: 51
scottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond reputescottIN has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xweaponx View Post
How would leaving the soap on it help me any though? I do use the sheeting method when rinsing it off.
I just recently started using the detailer after a wash.
I need to get the current water spots off now to see if these methods work.
I do the same thing. Wash & let it dry and then rinse it all at once. The soap acts as a surfactant suspending the water. When you rinse, it reactivates the soap. And I use a QD afterwards as well to get the last of the spots.

Yeah, Indiana water is like 50% water & 50% limestone. And it's not nearly as bad where you are as it is in Southern Indiana.
scottIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Track Member
 
murphman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 611
Drives: 370z Tour Black 7AT
Rep Power: 13
murphman is on a distinguished road
Default

I too let the soap dry to an extent when washing. One thing that will knock 99% of this problem out or atleast it should because i dont have water sport problems on my black Z is after you use like a jet setting pressure to rinse the soap off real good go back and sheet rise the entire car. If you are sheet rising correctly there will literally be maybe a cup of water on the entires surface of your car, maybe less.

Your Microfiber towels from Autozone or whatever are junk, those were the first ones i purchased and they ended up going straight to the trash.

Normal rising your car then going straight to towels will do that on a black Z as i went through the same stage as you when i first got my car.
__________________
Mod List: FI 18" CBE// Eibach Springs// Rear Camber kit//
Ingen CAI//
murphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Track Member
 
murphman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 611
Drives: 370z Tour Black 7AT
Rep Power: 13
murphman is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xweaponx View Post
How would leaving the soap on it help me any though? I do use the sheeting method when rinsing it off.
I just recently started using the detailer after a wash.
I need to get the current water spots off now to see if these methods work.
pending how bad they are you might need to buff that area, i wouldnt dig on it with a microfiber towel and detail spray
__________________
Mod List: FI 18" CBE// Eibach Springs// Rear Camber kit//
Ingen CAI//
murphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Base Member
 
xweaponx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Carolina
Age: 30
Posts: 100
Drives: 2011 370Z
Rep Power: 10
xweaponx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphman View Post
I too let the soap dry to an extent when washing. One thing that will knock 99% of this problem out or atleast it should because i dont have water sport problems on my black Z is after you use like a jet setting pressure to rinse the soap off real good go back and sheet rise the entire car. If you are sheet rising correctly there will literally be maybe a cup of water on the entires surface of your car, maybe less.

Your Microfiber towels from Autozone or whatever are junk, those were the first ones i purchased and they ended up going straight to the trash.

Normal rising your car then going straight to towels will do that on a black Z as i went through the same stage as you when i first got my car.
Well recently I've just been using the sheeting method without a nozzle the whole time. Seems like it gets most of the soap off. What are some microfiber towels I should look into?
xweaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do i remove water spots? Gungrave Detailing / Washing / Waxing / Cosmetic Maintenance and Repair 42 04-08-2013 03:48 PM
Water spots?! seungklee Detailing / Washing / Waxing / Cosmetic Maintenance and Repair 4 06-05-2011 01:30 PM
well water ---spots galore Sandra Dee Detailing / Washing / Waxing / Cosmetic Maintenance and Repair 92 08-03-2010 10:21 PM
Water Spots Texas370z Exterior & Interior 36 07-21-2010 10:57 AM
Water-spots won't come off? blinkme323 Nissan 370Z General Discussions 17 04-03-2010 07:06 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2