Nissan 370Z Forum  

Remote Start for 6MT? (Alarm Installers, chime in).

So I used to be a mobile electronics and accessory installer many years back, and the general rule was remote starters are best left for A/T cars only. I think

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 40th Anniv. 370Z
BalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Remote Start for 6MT? (Alarm Installers, chime in).

So I used to be a mobile electronics and accessory installer many years back, and the general rule was remote starters are best left for A/T cars only. I think we all heard the stories about what can happen on M/T cars.

While staring at my dash one day, I noticed the the SRM sensor is capable of detening when the car is in gear or in neutral. Has anyone entertained the idea of using the output of this sensor to interface with the Neurtal Safety Switch connection on the remote starter units? It may not be as simple as tapping a wire, but this could solve any potential safety issues.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

New alarm systems with remote start that are installed in a manual transition you have to install a wire that will not allow the car to start unless it is in neutral and the e brake is on. If the car does not detect this it will not start. Make sure you go to a good installer though some skip this and can end up going threw a wall.
Welcome to the new technology lol.
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: N/A
Cjanik has a spectacular aura aboutCjanik has a spectacular aura about

been there done that, accidentally started my car in 1st gear a few times, lol

fortunately it just jerks the car about a foot forward then stalls (kinda like letting the clutch go fast without giving gas)

Would I ever do it again? yes....but as big said...safety features are a must.
Cjanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanat View Post
New alarm systems with remote start that are installed in a manual transition you have to install a wire that will not allow the car to start unless it is in neutral and the e brake is on. If the car does not detect this it will not start. Make sure you go to a good installer though some skip this and can end up going threw a wall.
Welcome to the new technology lol.
yea i heard this as well. so it seems lke all these horror stories of MT and Remote start are the result of the shops negligence.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Yep that's why I do my own alarms I do not trust half of them to do something tight. If curse you could always yell them you want to see it not start in a gear before you leave.
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Z32tt / Supra tt
Supergoji has a reputation beyond reputeSupergoji has a reputation beyond reputeSupergoji has a reputation beyond reputeSupergoji has a reputation beyond reputeSupergoji has a reputation beyond reputeSupergoji has a reputation beyond reputeSupergoji has a reputation beyond reputeSupergoji has a reputation beyond reputeSupergoji has a reputation beyond reputeSupergoji has a reputation beyond reputeSupergoji has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Supergoji

yes make sure there is a neutral switch and brake switch.
i have a clifford installed on my Z32 and it works fine.
Supergoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaudiofanat View Post
Welcome to the new technology (from yesterday) lol.
fixed.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

so why was the consensus in the other thread that remote start is a bad idea in MT. sounds to me like remote start in a MT installed by an incompetent shop is a bad idea.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Nismo 09-0183 QAB
vipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond repute

The hardest part about remote starting these Zs is the factory "alarm." You need to simulate the key, disarm the alarm, and make sure your baby stays locked.

Also, think about the fact that once it's running and it thinks your key is in the car, you can just press the button on the door and unlock it......

2009 NISMO # 0193 | QAB | Albums! | 05.04.10 (Dynojet) 291.94hp/248.28tq
Oil Cooler (DIY) | Custom Headlights | GTSPEC Braces | F.I. Long Tube Headers
vipor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

yea, i didn't personally go for it b/c i dont really mind sitting in the car for a few mins while it gets warmed up. i usually let it run for a min even on a lovely 70 degree day. and plus, i'd rather have spent the extra 300+ on mods or just keep it. Remote start is definitely cool and useful in certain climates. But honestly, i live in NY. My feeling is if you need remote start in your Z because its so damn cold, you probably shouldn't be driving it at that time of year anyawy.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

vipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond reputevipor has a reputation beyond repute

I'll get it because I want a 2-way alarm, and I can install it myself. I've put it off over a year already, but maybe it'll be a Christmas present to myself. I'll be adding window automation as well so it will automatically roll up my windows upon arming. Remote hatch release will be nice also.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

i have the 2 way alarm/tilt sensor/audio glass break sensor and the hatch release. I cheaped out on the remote start. i think i'm just trying to make myself feel better about it. I hate seeing that button and knowing it doesn't do anything
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 97' Ranger :)
fuct has much to be proud offuct has much to be proud offuct has much to be proud offuct has much to be proud offuct has much to be proud offuct has much to be proud offuct has much to be proud offuct has much to be proud offuct has much to be proud offuct has much to be proud of

i want the opposite Jeffblue. i want my inside ice cold when i get in!
fuct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

hah yea, sometimes i like to just get in naked in the winter, see how long my balls can handle the cold seat.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffblue View Post
hah yea, sometimes i like to just get in naked in the winter, see how long my balls can handle the cold seat.
That's why I have cloth