Nissan 370Z Forum  

if someone's car is totaled what can they retrieve...?

If someone's car is totaled i've heard stories where the insurance company cuts them a check and keeps the car (most common). however i've also heard stories where they are

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > General > The Lounge (Off Topic)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Jeffblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY
Age: 31
Posts: 9,194
Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Rep Power: 33
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute
Question if someone's car is totaled what can they retrieve...?

If someone's car is totaled i've heard stories where the insurance company cuts them a check and keeps the car (most common). however i've also heard stories where they are allowed to keep the car and still recieve a check. What i'm confused about is, if your car is totaled, there are those who say that whatever is left of it belongs to the insurance company. This makes sense, but from a certain standpoint, it doesn't. If you got into an accident and had aftermarket wheels on (and they werent damaged), with your stock wheels in the garage, shouldn't you be able to remove the aftermarket wheels, since technically thats what they were insuring. even further, if you have sound system, sub woofer, shift knob, things like that, can you take those back or do they arbitrarily belong to the insurance company? i lets get real here, the insurance company isn't going to write you a bigger check because you have high end wheels and coilovers, much less a sound system or a shift knob. and obviously, if you left your ipod in the car, it doesn't belong to the insurance company if you forgot to take it out or were rushed to the hospital. understand that you shouldn't be able to go and strip your car down for parts if the insurance company gives you a check for the value of the car, but at the same time, if you have undamaged modifications, i believe you should be able to get those back. so my question is what can you actually get?

Last edited by Jeffblue; 10-21-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Track Member
 
cptspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: tampa
Posts: 799
Drives: 09 370z
Rep Power: 12
cptspeed will become famous soon enough
Default

your personel belongings and mods would go back to you. You will have to reinstall said original parts, however.
__________________
FI CBE, 20" forged specialties rims, swift springs, boston subs, kicker amp, focal components
cptspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
ChrisSlicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North East
Posts: 6,203
Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
Rep Power: 649
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute
Default

You are always allowed to retrieve personal items from the vehicle, even before the claim is settled. Just visit the holding yard where the vehicle got towed to with your ID.

This does vary someone by locality but in general if the insurance company cuts you a check it is for the complete vehicle including all modifications. If you have modifications that have significant value then you should consider a different policy, e.g. stated value policy. You will not be able to swap parts on the vehicle while it is at a holding yard. However it is your vehicle still and you are free to tow it to your house and swap parts before the insurance adjuster arrives. Once the insurance adjuster has made his value assessment you are not supposed to change anything, however I doubt they would pay attention to things like exhaust, intake etc.
__________________
Hotchkis ARB | Stillen CAI | Art Pipes | Berk CBE | Stillen AP Racing Brakes | AE Performance Oil Cooler | BC Racing ER Coilovers | Doran Control Arms
ChrisSlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Jeffblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY
Age: 31
Posts: 9,194
Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Rep Power: 33
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
You are always allowed to retrieve personal items from the vehicle, even before the claim is settled. Just visit the holding yard where the vehicle got towed to with your ID.

This does vary someone by locality but in general if the insurance company cuts you a check it is for the complete vehicle including all modifications. If you have modifications that have significant value then you should consider a different policy, e.g. stated value policy. You will not be able to swap parts on the vehicle while it is at a holding yard. However it is your vehicle still and you are free to tow it to your house and swap parts before the insurance adjuster arrives. Once the insurance adjuster has made his value assessment you are not supposed to change anything, however I doubt they would pay attention to things like exhaust, intake etc.
interesting. i feel like insurance companies love to jack up your rates if you were to tell them you had modifications, however, if you have them, i wonder what kind of marginally insignificant amount of money they are really giving you for your mods.

i have heard a lot of people forget to cancel their extended warranties (if they have them) when their car is totaled. same thing goes for when you sell the car, you should cancel it and you recieve a check from nissan or whatever mfg. but thats a separate issue.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: .
Posts: 42,576
Drives: .
Rep Power: 526
shadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond repute
Default

leave those hookers in the trunk. If they ain't found em yet, you need to move on. If they have found em, you'll make yourself an easy target by going back to the car.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Jeffblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY
Age: 31
Posts: 9,194
Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Rep Power: 33
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
leave those hookers in the trunk. If they ain't found em yet, you need to move on. If they have found em, you'll make yourself an easy target by going back to the car.
i will follow your guidance on this one, as i know it is based on experience.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
ChrisSlicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North East
Posts: 6,203
Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
Rep Power: 649
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffblue View Post
interesting. i feel like insurance companies love to jack up your rates if you were to tell them you had modifications, however, if you have them, i wonder what kind of marginally insignificant amount of money they are really giving you for your mods.

i have heard a lot of people forget to cancel their extended warranties (if they have them) when their car is totaled. same thing goes for when you sell the car, you should cancel it and you recieve a check from nissan or whatever mfg. but thats a separate issue.
Some insurance companies here require at least a basic inspection (by an approved 3rd party) to verify that the equipment you are supposed to have is in the vehicle.

Obviously if you've installed a supercharger and then go to your insurance company to ask for higher coverage you're going to get screwed. That's why I suggested agreed value as it simply covers a dollar amount.
__________________
Hotchkis ARB | Stillen CAI | Art Pipes | Berk CBE | Stillen AP Racing Brakes | AE Performance Oil Cooler | BC Racing ER Coilovers | Doran Control Arms
ChrisSlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Jeffblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY
Age: 31
Posts: 9,194
Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Rep Power: 33
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
Some insurance companies here require at least a basic inspection (by an approved 3rd party) to verify that the equipment you are supposed to have is in the vehicle.

Obviously if you've installed a supercharger and then go to your insurance company to ask for higher coverage you're going to get screwed. That's why I suggested agreed value as it simply covers a dollar amount.
so what would you do as far as wheels/suspension/intake/exhaust/etc, the common mods people do? just not mention them?
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
ChrisSlicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North East
Posts: 6,203
Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
Rep Power: 649
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffblue View Post
so what would you do as far as wheels/suspension/intake/exhaust/etc, the common mods people do? just not mention them?
I wouldn't mention it. If you have really expensive wheels on then you might want to declare them to make sure they are covered in case someone jacks the wheels.
__________________
Hotchkis ARB | Stillen CAI | Art Pipes | Berk CBE | Stillen AP Racing Brakes | AE Performance Oil Cooler | BC Racing ER Coilovers | Doran Control Arms
ChrisSlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Jeffblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY
Age: 31
Posts: 9,194
Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Rep Power: 33
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
I wouldn't mention it. If you have really expensive wheels on then you might want to declare them to make sure they are covered in case someone jacks the wheels.
the replacement cost of the rays is enough to cover almost any aftermarket wheels you'd get, seems like it would be easier to just leave well enough alone and have them write you a check for the replacement cost of the rays then putting it on file that you have aftermarket wheels, having them raise your premiums, and then try and shaft you on the replacement of them if the need were to arise.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
ChrisSlicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North East
Posts: 6,203
Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
Rep Power: 649
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffblue View Post
the replacement cost of the rays is enough to cover almost any aftermarket wheels you'd get, seems like it would be easier to just leave well enough alone and have them write you a check for the replacement cost of the rays then putting it on file that you have aftermarket wheels, having them raise your premiums, and then try and shaft you on the replacement of them if the need were to arise.
Yes. I was only thinking special coverage would be required with some custom wheels costing $4-$5K.
__________________
Hotchkis ARB | Stillen CAI | Art Pipes | Berk CBE | Stillen AP Racing Brakes | AE Performance Oil Cooler | BC Racing ER Coilovers | Doran Control Arms
ChrisSlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic
 
Jeffblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY
Age: 31
Posts: 9,194
Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Rep Power: 33
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
Yes. I was only thinking special coverage would be required with some custom wheels costing $4-$5K.
true. they give you a ton of money for the rays though. i believe they replace the wheels for 950 each, 100 per sensor, and then like 250 per tire. i forget who it was, but someone on here just took the check and replace the wheels themselves and they got like 4k+
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
insurance, totaled

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This Woman Carjacked A Three-Day-Old Camaro, Totaled It Minutes Later 370Zsteve The Lounge (Off Topic) 15 03-23-2013 03:06 AM
Totaled my Z... fairladyZ34 Nissan 370Z General Discussions 85 10-14-2010 12:47 AM
Totaled my 95 Z today / Thinking about a Nismo elm_tx Nissan 370Z General Discussions 57 08-22-2010 09:51 AM
MB 370Z totaled North Sound? tjlazer North West Region 9 04-13-2010 09:15 AM
My Z06 just got totaled. :( Crash Other Vehicles 76 01-10-2010 02:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2