View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
You are always allowed to retrieve personal items from the vehicle, even before the claim is settled. Just visit the holding yard where the vehicle got towed to with your ID.

This does vary someone by locality but in general if the insurance company cuts you a check it is for the complete vehicle including all modifications. If you have modifications that have significant value then you should consider a different policy, e.g. stated value policy. You will not be able to swap parts on the vehicle while it is at a holding yard. However it is your vehicle still and you are free to tow it to your house and swap parts before the insurance adjuster arrives. Once the insurance adjuster has made his value assessment you are not supposed to change anything, however I doubt they would pay attention to things like exhaust, intake etc.
interesting. i feel like insurance companies love to jack up your rates if you were to tell them you had modifications, however, if you have them, i wonder what kind of marginally insignificant amount of money they are really giving you for your mods.

i have heard a lot of people forget to cancel their extended warranties (if they have them) when their car is totaled. same thing goes for when you sell the car, you should cancel it and you recieve a check from nissan or whatever mfg. but thats a separate issue.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote