View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyGT View Post
I dont know man, the rasp isnt just any rasp, almost sounds like a heat shield rattle - thin metal against thin metal under different engine loads...definitly not the way the catless is supposed to sound. I had all 3 cats on my scooby removed and never had any sound remotely close to that. It might very well be the gasket because with out it maybe its a leak ? I just dont know because I have never heard a leak sound like that. Any idea where I can pick one up quick ?

I will try the heat trick today/tomorrow - i just ran out of time yesturday. But still I know you can see the clearance above the X...there is just so much room
I know the sound you're talking about, I've had it off and on and puzzled over whether it's normal or not (but probably not as bad as yours, at least I *have* gaskets in place).

The stock copper gaskets from the original manifold<->cat interface should work on your new setup, if you wanted to use those at least temporarily.

I'm going to replace all of my gaskets soon (well, except header<->engine, because it's a bitch, I think they're fine, and they were never re-loosened after initial install). I know at least one is leaking from all the times it was messed with trying to get the fitment right (loosen, adjust flanges, retighten, a few times over the course of a week), so I don't trust any of them now since they were all abused. So now that I know the metal all sits right (fixed via torch as above), I just need to swap out the gaskets again throughout.

Hopefully that will clear up the ugly parts of my exhaust sound, and then I'll do another video.