View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
MightyBobo
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: No cars; only bikes
MightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MightyBobo Send a message via Skype™ to MightyBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post
What you are saying sounds like an educated answer. And its believable the way you are explaining it. But I would like some proof of that statement. Do you have a link or something I can read from. I'm not saying you are wrong. I would just like to learn from this theory.
Look at motorcycles - their redline is ridiculous because they are a "larger" bore with a shorter stroke. That allows them to rev high without too much fear of parts flying everywhere. Unfortunately, this results in a loss of torque. Now I don't know the SPECIFICS, but I don't doubt it has something to do with less mass/overall piston speed flying around.

On the other hand, most domestic V8's go with a mix of a good bore and a good stroke to get an ideal combination of power and torque. The downside being, you cant exactly spin it up to a crazy-high redline. Again, probably due to just the sheer mass of internal parts flying around at amazing speeds and the risk of valves floating into the piston heads. A common mod for many F-body guys who want a high-revving motor is to actually de-stroke it. Less cubes overall, but the higher redline can be worth it...

Most diesels in trucks are inline 6's with a medium size bore, but huge stroke. Low-*** redline, but man the torque is ricockulous.

By the way, worthy of note - once you're up to speed and in your ideal RPM range making peak power, your torque does not mean nearly as much as it does, say, off the line on a launch. So, put two theoretical cars with the same exact size/weight/aerodynamics with 2 drastically different motors that, somehow, magically make the same exact horsepower against each other. Lets say one has a low-revving, 330 HP/330 Torque V8. The other is a higher revving 330 HP/250 torque V6 (boy, I wonder what motors Im comparing here...). Assuming both are driving near each other on a course and its...say, like NASCAR where they are running at their peak power most of the time...they should theoretically be able to compete with each other just fine.

Now, of course, this all goes out the window as soon as corners, braking zones, and the need for a lot of shifting happens. But, of course, this is why no two cars are the same, right?

****, this isnt a typical MightyBobo post.................douchebags. There, I feel better.

Last edited by MightyBobo; 05-07-2010 at 07:48 AM.
MightyBobo is offline   Reply With Quote