View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #7545 (permalink)
Rusty
Ronin Samurai - Assassin

Drives: 2011 Nismo GM 6M
Rusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarson View Post
This brings to mind an interesting story from Boeing a while back, as told to me by our consultant, an ex-Boeing guy from way back. I'm not sure on time frame, but following a massive wave of retirements from older Boeing personnel, Boeing's assembly lines abruptly found themselves unable to fabricate several of their aircraft. They had to call back the retirees, because of all the custom or one-off stuff the retirees actually did to make components fit - shims, special custom tools, that kind of thing. It was a metric buttload of stuff that those fellas knew, and which had never been documented anywhere.

The whole clause 7.1.6 Organizational Knowledge was written into ISO9001:2015 partly as a result of trying to make organizations capture that kind of knowledge proactively, instead of reactively.
I remember reading about that.

At Elliott and at the power plant. We called that Tribal Knowledge. It's knowledge that is handed down from the old guys to the new guys. If you were a new guy and an azz. You never got the full picture. At the power plant. I know where all the dead bodies are buried. I still get calls asking me about some things. Being hired during construction. I got to watch where all the short cuts were taken and changes made that never was on the PID's. Drawings that was never red lined.

When I retired. I took my note books with me. I've been questioned on them too.

浪人 - 殺し屋
"The Difficult Anytime, The Impossible By Appointment Only"
http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...o-journal.html

Last edited by Rusty; 05-12-2021 at 10:35 AM.