View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rusty
Ronin Samurai - Assassin

Drives: 2011 Nismo GM 6M
Rusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond reputeRusty has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4247 View Post
The tools are here! but the car is still in the body shop. So, I decided to see if I could get the elephant ear bushings out of the diff that I plan to install when the car returns. I wailed on them with a hammer and socket with no success. Damn they are in there tight.

Decided to try and fashion something with the bushing removal tools from Cj.

First turn the diff upside down, mine was full of oil, so I plugged the vent.

1. I put the 1/2” acme threaded rod with nut and washer on the end, thru the size adapter and installed the adapter into the large housing (Pic 1).
2. Install the acme screw and housing through the steel sleeve in the bushing - from the bottom (Pic 1).
3. Install the big chrome 35 mm socket over the acme screw threads, as it protrudes out the top of the bushing steel sleeve (Pic 2).
4. Install the gold plate onto the top of the socket (Pic 2).
5. Install a washer and nut, on top of the gold plate (Pic 2).
6. Holding the bottom nut with a wrench, tighten the top nut.
7. When the assembly begins to become difficult to tighten, install another socket on top of the gold plate, and tap with hammer (Pic 3)
8. Tighten nuts and then tap in an alternating pattern until the bushing comes out (Pic 4)

Works like a champ! I bought the large chrome 35mm socket just for this job, so I will donate it to the kit.
I used a 3/4" drive socket that was almost the same diameter as the bushings, and a BFH to drive these bushings right out. Only took 5 minutes for both.

浪人 - 殺し屋
"The Difficult Anytime, The Impossible By Appointment Only"
http://www.the370z.com/members-370z-...o-journal.html
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote