View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #46 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonova822 View Post
Will the square setup help with oversteer?

The front turns in nicely but rear seems to come round pretty fast.
Not really interested in spinning out in traffic. So have been careful.
Since our cars have staggered tires (larger in the rear) in stock form, going to a square setup reduces your rear tire width, which if anything is a move in the direction of more oversteer, not less. However, keep in mind how gravity and contact-patch interact. In some ways it's not as much a change as you'd think, and in others it's a very big change in the feel of the car. The hardest part for me to get comfortable with on switching was that the rear end was looser under trail-braking, requiring more careful brake modulation and slight steering corrections at times to prevent an oversteer spin under trail-braking. Once I got used to it, I really liked it though. That little bit of extra looseness makes it easier to get the car rotated just right while trailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01206 View Post
is front 18*10 +45, rear 18*10 +15 with 275/35/18 all around still a square setup?
I don't know if there's an official definition. One of the nice benefits you'd be missing out on, though, is the ability to rotate wheels all over without remounting tires (and only needing spare wheels in one size/offset).