View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imag View Post
2. Shorter throw on the shift due to changed shift fulcrum: while I generally like shorter throws, especially on the Miata and S2K transmissions (the two best ever, as far as I'm concerned), I'm not completely convinced that the increased shift effort matches this transmission. Initially, the fact that I really needed to pull on it to get it out of gear (especially when the tranny is cold) actually lowered my shift accuracy as far as timing.

3. Shortened gearshift shaft: This part sucks, IMHO. The shift lever is way too short on the kit. Not only is the fulcrum lowered for a shorter throw but the knob is way low. This means that the knob is further from the wheel (not good), the shift effort is way too high for smooth shifting around town, and, a minor quibble, the ergonomics felt way worse to me. I actually added parts to the shifter to bring the knob up to where it was before. The throws are shorter due to #2, but the shifter length is like stock, which brings shift effort back to a reasonable level and returns the ergonomics to what I like.
I very much agree!

I have been thinking about modifying it to raise the knob back to factory height like you, but I may also return to stock.

This transmission just isn't suited for quick shifts, so other than taking away some of the factory "slop," I don't see where a short-shifter is beneficial. Like you said, from an ergonomics and casual driving standpoint I think it makes things less enjoyable overall. The TR3650 + Steeda Tri-Ax short shifter on my Mustang was awesome... super quick, perfectly crisp shifts... the 370Z... not so much.

And I am very disappointed that I had to trash the factory knob because it was very comfortable... Think I may have to source another one, but I hear they aren't cheap!

I've had the shifter on the car for almost 10,000 miles now, so during that time period my opinion of it has changed. Funny how I'm finding the things that got my jollies off when I was 17-21 with my Mustang GT just don't do the same for me now that I've grown up a bit.
LIKE us on Facebook!

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 11-15-2009 at 07:30 AM.
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote