View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
Sh0velMan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Noisily.
Sh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthArk370Z View Post
Not sure that what I learned about flow measuremnt applies here but it looks to me like the slots would accomplish two things:
1) create turbulence inside the tube to cause the oil droplets to come in contact with the tube wall and each other and coalesce.
2) bleed off some of the slower moving air along the pipe wall to reduce the velocity in the tube.

Edit: If the velocity inside the tube is low (say, inches/minute), then the slots won't do much but look pretty.

But I may be way off base.
All of the above.

The idea was to break up flow entirely so that there's no clear path for oil to enter and then exit the can. Hence the perforations, unequal lengths, etc.

If these cans were made such that you could unscrew an entire end cap, I would have just filled the interior with large strand stainless steel wool type stuff, as it is, it has only small openings for the fittings and the drain, so it wasn't practical to try and fill the interior with any baffling material.