View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Sh0velMan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Noisily.
Sh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
Other thing is weight of our glass verses lexan isn't as much of a savings as I had hoped. Just doesn't seem worth hassle to save a few lbs and end up with inferior window that will be prone to warping etc.
This was kinda what I was thinking as well.

Lexan (Polycarbonate) in the kinds of thicknesses you need to be rigid/safe is going to weigh enough that the savings won't be that dramatic.

For me, the only windows left are Windshield, Hatch and the tiny quarter glass.

The Windshield, once the car is trailered everywhere, will probably get done as it is seriously heavy, even compared to thick polycarb.

The hatch, I probably won't mess with unless I get a carbon/fiberglass rear hatch.

And as Mike was hinting, you need a precisely controlled oven to form polycarbonate sheet, a heat gun will not produce very good results, and usually the stuff will spring back after it cools.