View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #41 (permalink)
Sh0velMan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Noisily.
Sh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltullos View Post
Did my first Drivers Edge event this weekend at MSR. While I've previously done a few one day events in my Z32, the instruction I got with DE and 2 day format was by far much better. The 3.1 course was likewise much more challenging than the TMS infield and roval or the MSR 1.7 courses I previously ran.

My car ran flawlessly through the weekend. I wasn't trying to be the fastest guy there, but pushed it hard. The track mods included the Z1 34 row oil cooler, SS brake lines, StopTech brake pads, and RBF600. It was a cold weekend so oil temp stayed in 150-170 range. I will attest to the need to have block-off plate for daily driving. With it installed, it takes 10-15 min to reach 160 on cold mornings and stays in 165-170 range after warm-up. Without, it barely comes off the 140 peg even after 20 min (outside air temp 30-40 deg).

Finally, I filled the tank before 1st session each day, but did not refill in between because I was only down to 3/4. I experienced no fuel starvation issues.

In summary this event gave me a new standard for 'a good weekend' and can't wait to get back to MSR in March.
Glad you had a good weekend!

Question for you tho.

You say without a block off plate in place you don't get much above 140 on oil temp.. this is with a thermostatic sandwich plate for the cooler?

If so, your thermostat may be stuck open. You should at least be able to get it up into the 160 range in normal driving with the thermostat. Especially on the track man, I don't care how good your cooler is or how cold it is outside, you should be able to hover right at your t-stat opening threshold (180 is the most common temp), not this 150-170 stuff.

For me personally, I have an enormous cooler, but it is physically touching my radiator, so it has the benefit of being able to sap heat from the radiator in low speed daily driving type stuff to get the oil up to a reasonable temp (like when it was in the 30's a few weeks ago and I drove the damned thing to work, oil temps got up to 160 no problem but never went above that). This is of course with the thermostatic sandwich plate.

All that said, if you are not running a thermostatic plate, that would explain all of this a lot better and I'd highly recommend you swap one in for the health of your engine.

Sorry for going so far off topic there DR.