View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Sh0velMan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Noisily.
Sh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza370z View Post
While the OEM nismo exhaust is a quiet exhaust, it's definitely different then the oem 370z exhaust. It's much deeper. You guys are right if you sit inside your car you can barely tell the difference between the nismo and oem exhaust. But I've heard so many times when people drove away my car. It's noticeable deeper and I was surprised it sounds pretty mean at low rpm. Matter of fact many random guys on the street complimented on my oem nismo exhaust. But it's not very impressive at WOT which is why I got my HKS and very happy with it.
What you are hearing is the pipes themselves vibrating.

The exhaust has more pipe and longer straight runs, this makes for a lower resonate frequency as compared to the stock Y Pipe setup.

You can hear it inside the car because the vibrations are transmitted into the chassis because of how close in proximity the exhaust is and people can hear it when you are right next to them, but that is it.

I've explained this before in another thread, basically it isn't sound being emitted by the exhaust gasses making the sound, it's just the organ pipes under the car vibrating.

So yeah, the car will sound different on the inside, and if you are pulling away from someone who is real close to you, they'll be able to hear it for the first ~20 feet or so, but after that, you're silent as a ghost. It's also just a deep drone, it isn't a real "exhausty" sound.