View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sh0velMan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Noisily.
Sh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
A question for those who have or are currently using stoptech street pads with your Akebono BBK.
I put on a set at just over 52k miles and did a full overhaul, SS lines, rotors, etc. Yet after about 5-6k miles the stoptech would just squeal no matter if hot, cold, or anything in between. I took them off after 10k miles and put a new set on, but has anyone had this issue with them? I was hoping to get more out of these than just 10k miles.

I have the set in my car right now, but there is still plenty of pad left so unsure why it is squealing all the time.
Grease the shims.

That's probably the point at which the backing plates' "padding" cooked off. I haven't seen the Stoptech pads, but I'm willing to bet they have some sort of structure on the back of the backing plate intended to reduce vibration (what actually causes the squeal).

You could double up on shims and grease them (Hawk sells some grease made for this) and it'll probably quiet back down.