View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Sh0velMan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Noisily.
Sh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
Well we're tracking off-topic a bit now, but... the ends on those bars at the shock towers, are they just welded plates onto the body near the tower top, or is there something deeper going on there? Not that I plan to do any of this myself, but I like to have some idea what I'm talking about when I find someone to do the work.

It's also interesting that your main hoop is just behind that stock low horizontal support part. I've seen pics with it just in front of that, or welded straight onto the top of it for a shorter hoop, but I hadn't ever considered putting it behind like that. Might leave more room for seat/harness mounting/adjustment, too.
They're welded through the first layer into the second. There's some sealant between the two layers, we went through that.

The main hoop is in the same position on most of the cages I've seen, I think?

It's where it is on mine out necessity, my seat is within 3 inches of the hoop, as I've got it mounted pretty far back. Idea was to move my weight as far rearward as I could. I may end up needing to re-locate the pedals and wheel a bit rearward, but in the street driving I've done so far with the chair in the current position, it seems okay.