View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Sh0velMan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Noisily.
Sh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alstann View Post
Erm, not to dispute, but according to my fluid mechanics knowledge, the main flow of a fluid through a closed pipe is in the center. The velocity on the edges of the pipe is actually approaching zero. It's actually a large reason why polishing an intake manifold adds little to no gain, even a loss, depending on the application.

A straight increase in pipe diameter does not net a linear change in exhaust velocity, if I'm correct.
You're right, I got my facts confused.

The boundary layer @ the perimeter of the pipe has little flow but is (obviously) where the pressure is, whereas the center flow is high speed and lower pressure (naturally).

The same 10-15% loss applies, I just had my facts twisted.

And yeah, spot on the polishing bit. Actually get better flow if you texture it so the boundary layer can latch on easier.