View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #39 (permalink)
Sh0velMan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Noisily.
Sh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0rM View Post
Your theory has some serious flaws. Not the least of which is, why would a company make an outdated product that lasts the life of your vehicle. K&N could make WAY more money by convincing you that rechargeable air filters didn't work and were bad for your car and offering the alternative which you had to replace every 10k.

Obviously this has occurred to you yet but you're in a sports car forum. We generally want our cars to perform as well as possible. Even if it's only a few HP.
To say nothing of the fact that OEMs changed to paper air filters because it lowers maintenance costs and reduces warranty claims, when you're comparing a paper filter to the oiled filters of yesteryear... Which have very little in common with a K&N or the like.

Point is, does going to an oil filter lower the life expectancy as compared to a super thick 'Extra Guard' style paper filter? I feel comfortable saying "yes".

It probably does lower it, from around ~300K miles before the rings are gone to around ~225-250K miles before the rings are gone.

I could not care less about that difference, and I don't think anyone driving a Z today would or should, unless you really care that much about the next owner (or the one after them, or the one after them)...

Besides, the oil pump, VVEL system or rod bearings will probably go before the rings do. Just sayin.

This could be talked to death.

Bottom line:

Want a handful of horsepower? Buy K&N or the like.

Want an engine you can tell yourself will last longer and don't care about horsepower? Buy the thickest damned paper filter you can find.

Everyone's happy!