View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #72 (permalink)
nismo09
Base Member

Drives: 09 Nismo
nismo09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
I don't know enough about the exact numbers (or suspension in general, probably), but my general feeling has been that my car's going to need some more caster as well. Supposedly more caster = more dynamic camber, so that your static, straight-line camber can be a little less aggressive (= better accel/brake performance on straights) and dynamically increases by a greater percentage when you lay into a corner.
Disregard the before measurements – we had been doing a lot of testing before we hooked up the alignment machine. We actually could only get 4.3 caster (which was the setup I tested) in the proto II’s. That is one reason SPL wanted to redesign/refine the arms one more time. Now I am up to 7.0 and can go higher if I want to. I am curious to find out if I have any snap over steer issues with this setup. We shall see.

We also could only get -3.5 of camber on the proto II’s (which was a major issue) and now we stopped measuring after -6.0 degrees. I mean, come on, who would run more than that amount of camber? I kept the camber setting at -3.0 since I still have a total stock Nismo suspension system. When I get around to upgrading, I am sure I will move to -3.5 degrees - and add more caster as well.

To answer Rusty’s question, wstar is spot on - I want more caster for turn in and with having more caster it will actually increase my camber on turn in (another reason to leave the initial setup at -3.0). As you know, the faster you get into and out of a corner the faster your lap times are. I just hope the car doesn’t turn into a snap over steer pig like it was with the OEM staggered Advant Sport tire setup.

To answer RN SHRRK – these bad boys are installed and ready to go. Read my earlier post above. I will be tracking them at TWS this weekend. We will be going CW so I should get a really good feel on how they respond. I want to try to get x10 30 minute sessions in but since I will be instructing, that might not be possible. The good news is the weather looks to be great so it should be a dry sticky track. I am stoked.

I truly believe these arms are ready for prime time and I told Sean at SPL that 2 weeks ago but he is waiting on my report back after this weekend to decide if that is true or not.

Don’t kill the messenger here. It is not my decision. Remember, I have been pushing these folks for 3 years to produce these and I am just glad I am the guinea pig testing them. I am just the tester here!!!!! I would like to think I had a part in them finally making them.

Will let you all know next week how it went. I have my fingers crossed.
nismo09 is offline   Reply With Quote