View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #281 (permalink)
Sh0velMan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Noisily.
Sh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
From my dealings with the steering shaft. It will ONLY go on one way. The shaft is keyed to the coupling. Look for a blank tooth on the shaft and the matching spot inside the coupling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0velMan View Post
Maybe that's what is going on? I dunno. I work from home on Mondays, so I'mma go take a picture of the end of the shaft (I completely disassembled the steering column so the shaft is out of the car at the moment). I am pretty sure mine isn't keyed (I've heard more than one 2011+ owner mention that theirs is keyed, but I'm pretty sure mine isn't).

I'll report back!
Soooo. Yeah. I think your'e right, Rusty.

Here's the photos, clearly it's keyed. I think the reason I was of the belief that mine wasn't keyed is because when the shaft is collapsed (like when you push it up out of the way to do headers) the upper and lower shafts are no longer engaged internally, so you can actually spin the lower shaft completely independent of the upper shaft. That's how you can end up with your steering wheel misaligned even though the shaft is clearly keyed. What a pain the ***! haha.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering_shaft1.jpg (77.8 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg steering_shaft2.jpg (48.1 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by Sh0velMan; 06-10-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Sh0velMan is offline   Reply With Quote