View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #1645 (permalink)
Sh0velMan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Noisily.
Sh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant futureSh0velMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarcinczyk14 View Post
So 7 in. of toe is more performance oriented than 0?
I'm assuming you're trying to say 0.7 or 0.07?

Anyway, toe in the rear helps stabilize the rear end at speed, making it more driver friendly to low skill drivers (most 370z owners, though likely not most people on this forum necessarily).

Also, and on this point I am not 100% clear as to how it relates to our rear suspension specifically, but in most independent setups, toe is added or removed under compression.

For example, in the front, toe is added on compression, so it is common for "racers" to spec toe out on the front so that under braking into corner entry, your wheels are as straight as possible.

I think the inverse may be true in the rear. That is to say, under compression (acceleration) toe is removed (meaning toe OUT is added). If this is the case, Nissan would spec toe IN because it would serve twofold
  1. Add stability when cruising at speed
  2. Straighten the drive wheels out under hard acceleration.

Again, I could be wrong on that second part, but for sure, it adds stability at speed that isn't necessary for a skilled driver on a race track.

EDIT: I will say for completeness sake, it also helps with bump-steer in the rear, as it tries to push the wheel towards the car's center of gravity when one or both wheels are "upset". Another thing a "racer" will want to fine tune for themselves to suit their driving style.

Last edited by Sh0velMan; 04-02-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Added the bit about bump steer.
Sh0velMan is offline   Reply With Quote