View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #55 (permalink)
SS_Firehawk
Premium Member

Drives: 13' Magma Red Nismo
SS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSS_Firehawk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNKNOWN_370 View Post
1. Electric steering is on the Vette. I said we need to stay away from that. Which would equal cost reduction
2. I said increase usage of CF and Alum. Not build the car of Alum and CF. The vette chassis is all aluminum.
3. I when i said more torque, notice I didn't specify Hp and TQ numbers because I don't even know what They friggin plan on putting in the Z.
But, if you are going to maintain or increase the grip on the current car???? Torque will help alot. I like the fact that the Z on launch feels like a muscle car. And I don't want it to feel like a BRZ. So torque for me means near equal number to its HP rating. ie. 320hp/320lbs tq. On 3k lbs? That don't mean shyt.
The vette is 3100 lbs w/a shytload of torque. As it stands right now. Our cars are heavier. A $3,000 price increase for a competitive car? I'm not crying.
4. simplifying the interior as far as computer BS should save a lot of money over the current car. No need for $2200 nav options when we can have a simplified $800 unit. things enthusiasts DONT need. We dont need electric doo dads like elec steering and brakes either. All costly fluff.

Keep the money in the chassis and sport pkges.
We have a variable electric steering unit in our cars. Electric power steering has also gotten very inexpensive, improves gas mileage, and horsepower. I don't see manufacturers retaining hydraulic. If the base price for a Z is 33k and the base price for a Vette is closer to 50k, that's significant. If we use the Nismo instead, we are still off by around 8k. If you propose to reduce weight by 200-400lbs without switching to an aluminum chassis, it's impossible with the safety regulations. The use of carbon fiber is incredibly cost prohibitive and will send the price through the roof. Affordable carbon fiber is a relative term, and the cost for OEM's to use it is still very high. Regarding the NAV unit, like you said, it is an option. We don't need it, we have phones. The rest of the car world is turning their nav systems all fancy, if Nissan does not improve their tech side, it will only be another pitfall. The Vette has a lot of avenues to recoup development funds. The have their own racing team, and parts sharing is very high. There is no import tax to contend with and they build 10's of thousands a year. The Z doesn't make Nissan enough money on the Z to make a dedicated chassis. Now they can price a Nismo Z 10-20,000 higher than a normal one, make that chassis aluminum, throw a bunch of go fast parts and have that go battle with the serious fish in the business. Then make a base model with more basic amenities and reduced power to hit the low end of the market ($30k) A lot of this is just my opinion on the matter. I wish the same things are you do, but it will be far fetched to see some of it come to fruition.

SS_Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote