Thread: Megan Journal
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #44 (permalink)
Megan370z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z
Megan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond reputeMegan370z has a reputation beyond repute

another late update !

Last weekend was the Event #3 of CSCS.ca at Mosport DDT which I had to attend !
I was on vacation the week prior so I had some time to work on the car and try to prep it as much as I could to be ready at a track I only went twice in 4 years !!!

The day was calling for some rain, starting late in the after-noon.

Me and an 350z fellow booked an hotel room because we didnt want to bothered sleeping in a tent in case it would be rainning during the night.

Once we got on the spot at the track, we quickly found our spot for the day. We started to do our normal routine !

As soon as the tent was up, everything layout inside. I jumped on the car to install those nice expensive race pads and a barely new set of Toyo RA-1.
My Time Attack class call for 50+ threadwear .

I had time to finish some setup on the car to not being late at the driver meeting. We then went on the track 20mins later.
Before our session, it was the Drift pratice which always put a lot of dirt on the track . Anyway I was one of the first car to be on the track at our first lapping session.

We had to be very carefull with all that sand and dirt on the track !! it was a little bit scary . I had my friend to follow me, helping him seeing the line and braking point !

Going Counter-Clock wise . *CCW*

On the 3rd laps at Corner #4, I slided off track at the worse part where its commun to see some sand on the track, because most peoples cut it !

this is the video of my friend following me on the first session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n8tdTPGd6o

The only part that broke was one of the front link holding the splitter , I had 2 spare just in case something like this would happen ! which it did .

That was one session wasted because the (novice)was getting lined-up to get on the track for their first session after us. I couldnt get fast enough in front of them to be allowed back on the track.

I thought I would finally be able to do some clean lap on my second session.
I went on the track in the mid pack. It was a mistake of my part because after 3-4 laps I got black flagged !!!! ok what did I have done now ?
It happen that I passed someone in a restricted zone . On my first event 4 year ago that zone was ok to pass someone if a point by was given and also with the habit to quickly pass someone as soon as I see them giving me a point by !..
oh well another wasted session . I tried to check the tire pressure right before going to see the mashall to know what I did wrong.
but other than that .. not much !

soo again.
I told myself , be carefull now ! only focus on the car handling !!!
once the 3rd session started . On the 3rd lap !! Yes the 3rd laps ! a Red flag was UP !!
I was there in my car thinking, ** ok this is not funny !!**
the reason of that red flag was because of him ... * he is alright btw and safe*

There was 2 sessions left before the actual Time Attack.
I had to make sure everything was setup properly !
The 4th session went quite smoothly as I was the fastest in my class already .
On the 5th session I was 3rd by .3 sec !!
I couldnt see anything at that point that could make me gain those 3 tenth !!

Once our 5th session was finish, it was the time for the Drift Competition to start.
The black clouds full of rain was now right over us threatening to piss us off !
It looked like it would be raining for hours , I had to make a decision as to what to do.
Either stay with the RA1 on (shaved) or put my street tire (RE-11).

I finaly decided to put my RE-11 on ! and disconnecting the rear swaybar.

After barely 15-20mins of drifting competition , they stop it and reported the drift after our time attack .
A lot of peoples was getting their car ready for the rain but some didnt had the chance to do it !
I was in one of the last group to get on the track for the Time attack .

As the time went by, the sun started to show up and the track getting dryer and dryer!!
The fast lap time started to show up around the 9th group (of 14 in total as I was in the 12th)

With barely 15-ish mins to go before I get called to be in line.
I took the choice to go back with the RA1 as the fast lap time was getting in the 1;05-1;06.

This is when I got called to be on the line.
It doesnt look like the ground is wet much but the track was humid.

Then it was my turn to be on the track
the first warm-up lap was what it actualy is ! warming up as much as I could the tires and brakes !!
The track was relatively quite good at most of the corners but one at Corner# 8

I didnt had time to reconnect the rear swaybar , which made the car understeering quite a lot as it was normaly setup with a bit of oversteer.
Having the most stiff swaybar and no rear sway bar (hotchkis) its no suprise what the end result would be !!

I decided to give a full go on the first timed lap which normaly would also have been a warm up lap.
Lap 1 resulted to be in the 1;02 ! I was good with this and decided to push a little more on the second lap.
The grip was there pretty much everywhere but corner #8 which still had some standing water and humid track , I understeered and then the rear slided off a litte bit. Everything else was good during that lap which gave me a 1:01.1 !!

Once I saw that lap time I knew I could try to do better !
but I quickly forgot about not having a rear sway bar !!!!!!
this was my big mistake becase on the fastest part of the track it also has a left hander corner (#10 ) which I use to trailbrake all the way to the next corner (Apex #2 )
I couldnt make it at all because of 2 reasons !
late braking and understeering !!! I quickly decided to try my luck going right down the hill ( Chute on the map )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOYpStkuIk8

I went back on the track for the normal cooldown and went back in the pit , after a quick inspection nothing was broken or bent.

I got told that I was the fastest at the moment and ahead of everyone in my class !

Once everything was finish and done we went to get our trophy !!! it was fast and furious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ifOKmCet4

Last edited by Megan370z; 07-21-2012 at 10:13 PM.