View Single Post
Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #207 (permalink)
wheee!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: cars. lots of cars.
wheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond reputewheee! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfire View Post
Just finished the 20mm on the rear. I didn't need to take the parking break assembly off either. I just angled the studs and slowly turned the hub until I could just slide the stud in place. Hopefully I seated them well enough. I'm pretty sure I got them all flush but I sometimes don't trust myself.
I have found that it is not necessary to remove the rear brake spring assembly, but that it does make it easier to do. The assembly is really nothing but a spring and a star-wheel expander.

Quote:
I noticed that the driver side was really dirty/greasy and the passenger side was not. Anyone know if I should be worried about the bearings or something of that nature??
That is strange.... I have never seen a dirty /greasy rear brake assembly on the cars I have serviced, but it may just have been a sloppy grease job from the factory. Just make sure the inner part of the rear brake drum is NOT contaminated with any grease and there is none on the pads either.

On a side note, a friend came over to have his spacers done a while ago and we encountered an issue with wheel studs. He had bought new wheel studs from a parts store and used spacers from a forum friend. The wheel studs he bought were too long and had a slightly longer 'collar' on them that interfered with the seating of the rotors. The spacers were not going to work without the correct size and length of stud, similar to what H&R ships in the package with the spacers.

Bottom line is: Use the correct stud sizes for these installs! Maybe someone that has an uninstalled set can measure the studs for us and post the correct lengths for people that are having to buy them separately.

Quote:
Wheee, thanks for the write up. It was a huge help.... also gave me a reason to buy an impact wrench, I would have been cussing myself had I not.
Definitely an excellent idea to have the impact wrench! And you're welcome
for the write-up! I enjoyed doing it.

H&R / Stillen / Berk / HKS / Swift / Michelin / UpRev / SPC / Amuse Rep / Seibon / Fringe XVO / TWM / more...
My Journal
wheee! is offline   Reply With Quote