View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #49 (permalink)
MacLean
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 GM Nismo # 0445
MacLean has a spectacular aura aboutMacLean has a spectacular aura aboutMacLean has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
You realize at the heart of it all, exhaust is just bent pipes welded together with resonators/mufflers right? The majority of which is done overseas in China or India.

See, this right here is the reason vendors get away with charging stupid amounts of money for their products. People have this preconceived notion that the only way to get a quality product is to spend more money. It's pretty sad, but if megan were to charge, say, $1500 for their product more people would buy them and claim how awesome they are. All because they paid XXXX amount of dollars for a "quality" product. I had a megan exhaust on my WRX and not ONCE did it "crap out" on me. Furthermore, I am not even certain how an exhaust can "crap out" on someone. A weld can break on almost any exhaust, doesn't matter the price. However if you do have a weld on a flange break, you have to pay a whole $30 or less to have it rewelded.

Let's be honest with each other and face it, there is a "Z tax" most vendors put on our cars products because they know they can. Do this, go price out a full exhaust for a mustang and then for a Z. Why exactly is the Z's a considerable amount more? Because stupid people are willing to pay more because they think their car "deserves it".

I've known quite a few people that have run their own exhaust shops on the internet and made custom CBE's for SRT4, 350Z, WRX's etc, and I can tell you this; Once the jig is made and sent overseas the production costs on an exhaust is laughable. The fact people are willing to pay 10x (+even more) just makes me laugh even more.
Really.......you don't say........ I never really knew that it was just bent pipes welded together & done overseas in China & India. I'm glad you told me that b/c I probably wouldn't have figured it out. EPIC FAIL.....duh.

Well let's face it that the reason why vendors probably charge more for products on a Z vs a Mustang is b/c the Z is an import. Imports cars cost more to buy than domestic cars & the same goes for repairs....HELLO. Buying anything for an import will cost more than a domestic here state side pretty much.

In the end it is solely up to you as an individual on what you want to buy. A lot of the reasoning for paying that extra money is b/c the company wasn't chicken sh*t about their R&D. Maybe that company started off catering to high-end vehicles & then worked its way down to other more common vehicles. As the saying goes you have to pay to play & nothing is free, or will just be given to you.
MacLean is offline   Reply With Quote