View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #2430 (permalink)
MightyBobo
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: No cars; only bikes
MightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond reputeMightyBobo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MightyBobo Send a message via Skype™ to MightyBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwChriswX View Post
I'm fine with that, but the purpose of going to a track is to find out where that limit is, and push it. Or else why spend the money?

When is the next time you're going, I'd like to tag-a-long and see what it's like from someone (you) who's done it before, and get some off track knowledge before doing it myself.
You say it as if its the ONLY purpose. Finding the limit and passing it is a scary event - that means you're likely going on an off-track excursion, or in the least, overshooting a proper corner.

You're going to the track to learn a lot things, including:

Proper car control (hand placement, instinctual countersteering, anticipating weight shift under braking/acceleration, etc)
Brake/throttle modulation in concert with steering
Situational awareness (flag stands, cars around you, etc)
Beginner racecraft (apexing, entering/exiting a corners of different types, etc)

...and so on, so forth. Finding "the limit" is something that happens while doing any of the above. All of those take PATIENCE and practice. If you think you are the next Ayrton Senna and try to act like that, it WILL bite you. Ask my last instructor at Summit Point - the last (and only other) 370Z he was with at that track, was a NISMO. The guy totalled it his VERY FIRST SESSION.