View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #146 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

I learned to drive on a stick (an older BMW 3-series), then my first car was an auto ('81 Firebird, which is the last year of the 70's-looking ones), which I drove for about 4-5 years. Then I drove a 6-speed LS1 car for about a decade (1999-2009, RIP my old WS6 Trans Am), and now I'm in the 7AT 370Z.

The 6 speed was a lot of fun to learn things on (e.g. how to double clutch, how to heel-toe (which I was never very good at)), and having spent 10 years on a 6 speed put me in the frame of mind to never really drive my 7AT in D-mode much, but the clutch gets old anywhere but the track, and even there I'd really just rather not screw with it if I can. There's a bit of adjustment from a manual to a paddle-shifting auto though. e.g. your instincts from the manual about when to drop off the gas a bit as you upshift are all timed wrong, but once you get used to it it's a lot of fun to drive.

Someday when I'm richer, I'll have a Porsche with a PDK, best of all worlds