View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jran76 View Post
The command authority of the VVEL system is great enough so controlling valve opening is the primary means of throttling the VQ37VHR’s output, instead of traditional throttle plates.The VQ37VHR does retain twin drive by wire throttles but they mostly stay wide open, the only time they close is on overrun to help provide engine braking and if the engines ECU detects low vacuum in the brake booster reservoir."
On this point: I remember hearing about this in the past, but I don't think stock ECU actually operates in this manner. I've never run my car with the intakes off to visually verify, but when monitoring throttle position sensors (which means the actual throttle plates on our car, not the accel pedal) via Torque or Cipher, it seems they do progressively open just like the throttle plates of any other car. I imagine Osiris or similar should be able to tune them wide open under accel, but I'm not sure.