View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #676 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeto View Post
Is not having a thermo plate bad?
It's not strictly necessary in warmer climates, where a cooler is most useful anyways, but for the cost of the Nismo unit I would've expected one. The non-thermo plate always flows all of your oil through the cooler. The thermo one blocks off the cooler when the oil is cold, and gradually opens up the path to the cooler as the temps rise (should be fully open at 180 I believe on most we've seen for this car). Without a thermo plate, you really need to wait for the oil to warm up a bit before you use the engine too hard (pushing way high PSI cold oil through the cooler isn't great for it or the fittings), and it will take longer to warm up than stock because the cooler doesn't help with that. In a colder climate I'd say it's pretty essential, but I want one even here in TX so I don't have to wait forever on warmup.