Nissan 370Z Forum  

headlight not very bright

I have 10' 370z nismo and I have a little hard time driving at night because headlights are not very bright. Anyone having same thoughts as I do?

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Exterior & Interior

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LakeShow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z NISMO
scottnismo is on a distinguished road
Default headlight not very bright

I have 10' 370z nismo and I have a little hard time driving at night because headlights are not very bright. Anyone having same thoughts as I do?
scottnismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: '10 Black 370Z 6MT
hdskull will become famous soon enough

Are they properly adjusted?

^
Kenwood DDX616 | Polk DB6501 | Llumar 23% tint | STi-R Clear Lens
SSR Type-F | F.I. 18" CF | Stillen Gen 3 | KW V3
hdskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Everything
LakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to beholdLakeShow is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdskull View Post
Are they properly adjusted?
What do you mean adjusted? You mean angle them differently.
wonlee808 likes this.
LakeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370z CY M6
USMCASA is just really niceUSMCASA is just really niceUSMCASA is just really niceUSMCASA is just really nice

there is a leveling adjustment on the inside (engine side) of the lamp about halfway up it. adjust it with a philips head screw driver. though... if you need to do that from the dealer, then its probably been in an accident...
USMCASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Try the leveling, see if that helps. Also making sure the housing is relatively clean.

If that doesn't work, swap the bulbs for some 5500k lights. The stock 4300k units are not really ideal for visibility.
Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Drives: 🔰
Trips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond reputeTrips has a reputation beyond repute

If the lamps are dim and not bright as usual? Take it to the dealer and have them deal with it and if their out of adjusting they can check that also. Having to adjust them by yourself may lead to raising the light path that may not be legal in the sense that the lamps will affect other drivers either from behind or on coming, if you ever had a driver come towards you with a missaligned headlight you'd know what I mean.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: Nissan 370z Nismo
Pelican170 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
Try the leveling, see if that helps. Also making sure the housing is relatively clean.

If that doesn't work, swap the bulbs for some 5500k lights. The stock 4300k units are not really ideal for visibility.
I dont know if Id agree with that. From what ive read, 4300k is one of the best for visibility...
Old 12-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 40th
MattP725 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican170 View Post
I dont know if Id agree with that. From what ive read, 4300k is one of the best for visibility...
Yep the 5.5k will actually reduce white levels and in turn reduce visibility. I have no issues seeing at night. You could always add some fogs but I'm personally not a fan.
MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: Nissan 370z Nismo
Pelican170 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP725 View Post
Yep the 5.5k will actually reduce white levels and in turn reduce visibility. I have no issues seeing at night. You could always add some fogs but I'm personally not a fan.
Wow, i dont think ive seen a Z with fogs...
Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 40th
MattP725 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Wow, i dont think ive seen a Z with fogs...
Which is a good thing in my book.
MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z NISMO
scottnismo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post

what If I go with 6000k HID bulb. would it be brighter and therefore more visibillity?
scottnismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 350Z,370Z,GTR
vividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond reputevividracing has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to vividracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnismo View Post
what If I go with 6000k HID bulb. would it be brighter and therefore more visibillity?
The temperature doesn't work the way you're thinking. 6000k, 5000k, 4300k, those are all bulb color temperatures. The higher the number, the more blue (and eventually purple) the color of the light is. I'm not an expert, but I do know the basics... Anything above 6000k is actually dropping in visibility. You want to stay between 4300 and 6000k. I prefer 4300k and I'll never try to go above 5000 personally. All those people driving around with 10000k, 14000k, etc are actually seeing WORSE than before, and also causing eye fatigue for themselves. Plus, the people that are ignorant enough to run those bulbs are usually also running them in Halogen housings, so they've really destroyed their lighting. That and it glares and blinds everyone else.

I hate HIDs lol

Rocky @ Vivid ♦ 480.966.3040 x236 ♦ Rocky@vividracing.com
Email, PM, or call me directly for aggressive The370Z.com member pricing!!!
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Human spectral reception generally peaks around 5300-5600k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP725 View Post
Nope. 4300k is definitely towards the yellow end, ~5000k is what most people will perceive as white.

Taking knowledge of color temperature from HID ads is generally unwise.

The Z got 4300K lights because they look white against moonlight, which is generally in the 4000-4400K range(For reference, daylight is generally in the 5-7000K range)...this was done to reduce complaints by other drivers about "blue" headlights.

Most people are going to notice a nighttime visibility peak around 5300K, which is still in the "mostly white light" range.(side note:this is of course hard to measure since the color scale does not factor in colors not in the color temp scale, and almost every light source is going to include "off" colors...part of the reason identifying a "white light temperature" is very hard to do)
Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 11 CTS-V Coupe
Dark Sarcasm will become famous soon enoughDark Sarcasm will become famous soon enough

have you had HID bulbs in previous vehicles? it take a little getting used to. Switching from the yellowish beams from older headlights to a whiter HID beam may seem like the headlights are dimmer but in reality the are illuminating more objects in front of you and not "painting" the area in front of your car. if that makes sense.

just drive around with the highbeams on like about 25% of the mf'ers around here.