Nissan 370Z Forum  

Light off feature gone

My stealer had to replace electronic control unit. When I turn engine off with lights running, them won't turn off. Them are supposed to do it, even user guide describes

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Exterior & Interior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 04:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 370Z
Maila87 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Maila87
Default Light off feature gone

My stealer had to replace electronic control unit. When I turn engine off with lights running, them won't turn off. Them are supposed to do it, even user guide describes this. Why is this annoying for me is fact, that here in Central Europe I have to use lights 24x7. Windows and auto lock is set by me, and works fine after this.
-->2005-6 Nissan Micra 1,3i CVT 72PS Red MY 98 -->2006-8 Nissan Almera 1,5i N16 96PS Red -->2007-8 Skoda Fabia Combi 1,2HTP 3 cylinder 60PS Green -->2008-11 AUDI TT 2,0TFSI FWD S-tronic 200PS Red MY06 -->2011 Nissan 370Z manual White Pearl
Maila87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 40th
MattP725 will become famous soon enough

Does your car have an "auto" switch on the stalk? If so are you saying you put it on auto and it never shuts off? Sounds like your light sensor might be bad.

Also the delay when the car is off takes about a minute I believe but I could be wrong.
MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Base Member

No, when Lights are on (park or main headlights) during started engine, them are supposed to switch off after shutting down engine and leaving car. Auto function is useless for me, have to use parking lights (have brighter LED bulbs) during day
-->2005-6 Nissan Micra 1,3i CVT 72PS Red MY 98 -->2006-8 Nissan Almera 1,5i N16 96PS Red -->2007-8 Skoda Fabia Combi 1,2HTP 3 cylinder 60PS Green -->2008-11 AUDI TT 2,0TFSI FWD S-tronic 200PS Red MY06 -->2011 Nissan 370Z manual White Pearl
Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: .
shadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila87 View Post
No, when Lights are on (park or main headlights) during started engine, them are supposed to switch off after shutting down engine and leaving car. Auto function is useless for me, have to use parking lights (have brighter LED bulbs) during day
Yeah, I can see where that would be a huge pain.

I wonder if the owner's manual is referring to use of the Auto Light feature instead of leaving the stalk in the "on" position. If it is, then you may have to live with this. But if it's not, then you have a legitimate gripe with Nissan.

What is the dealer saying? Are they saying that the lights should turn off automatically?
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: G37
modme will become famous soon enoughmodme will become famous soon enough

If you leave the lights in the ON position, they will turn off after about 30 minutes, when the car activates battery saver function.

What you read in the manual is talking about when you leave the lights in the AUTO position. When you leave and lock the car, the lights turn off after 45 seconds.

So it would appear the electronic box the dealership was defective. It was preventing retained power after engine is turned off. That's why your lights were turning off immediately after engine off. You were taking advantage of a defect.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

30min drain on the battery is literally killing it prematurely.

on my car i shut the car off, then turn the light off manually. i dont like the auto-shut off feature as it drains the battery. especially in cold climates you want to keep the peak charge for max cca for next morning.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: .
shadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond reputeshadoquad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
30min drain on the battery is literally killing it prematurely.

on my car i shut the car off, then turn the light off manually. i dont like the auto-shut off feature as it drains the battery. especially in cold climates you want to keep the peak charge for max cca for next morning.
Yeah, but I could see his point. He has to have the lights on every time he drives anywhere. That's the law where he is. I could see forgetting to turn them off from time to time if that was the situation here.
shadoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

if one only needs driving lights (or LED's) just wire it to or relay it to a switched fuse.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 11' 370z Magnetic M6
haitech is on a distinguished road

even when my car was off, I turned on the headlights and they turned off after like 5 mins automatically without me locking the car
haitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

I know this sounds like a silly workaround but I'd leave the lights on auto and put a piece of electrical tape over the light sensor... that way car thinks it is dark but still shuts down quickly.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

FYI sounds like they flashed your ECM with a non-european firmware. Might cause other issues with fuel and things like that if that is the case... might want to have them check it out.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have base or touring?

For touring, you can set how long it stays on in carputer.

For base, the dealer needs to do this with Consult III.

With either, can be set to turn off automatically after you exit car and shut door, but NOT as soon as car shuts off, annoyingly.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Base Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Do you have base or touring?

For touring, you can set how long it stays on in carputer.

For base, the dealer needs to do this with Consult III.

With either, can be set to turn off automatically after you exit car and shut door, but NOT as soon as car shuts off, annoyingly.
Have all touring features except navigation. In Europe is Base, Pack 1 and Pack 2 and Pack 1 just hasn't Navigation and 19's.

The + side of previous control unit was, that I could use parking lights "automatically" and don't waste my Philips UltraBright xenons

In manual is described: "After opening drivers door. Lights will shut down, when turned on before, or during started engine."

So it meant, that I just humped into car and during day don't have to care about anything

Solution might be DRLs (Nissan original accessory is hideous) or taping cables. But don't want to mess with electric, because it looked something like that after electric driving unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00044.jpg (703.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Why is that car being hoisted by its wheels? American tow truck drivers are dumb, that just exceeds all expectations.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 Corvette G.S.
370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP725 View Post
Why is that car being hoisted by its wheels? American tow truck drivers are dumb, that just exceeds all expectations.