Nissan 370Z Forum  

Auto Headlights - Don't want to wait the 45 seconds...

Does anyone know if you can set the auto headlights to turn off faster than the default 45 seconds after the car is turned off on a base model? I

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Exterior & Interior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: Nissan 370Z Sprt 6MT
DRUZ370 is on a distinguished road
Default Auto Headlights - Don't want to wait the 45 seconds...

Does anyone know if you can set the auto headlights to turn off faster than the default 45 seconds after the car is turned off on a base model? I read in the manual that there is a setting on the Navi-equipped models but can't seem to find anything for the base.

I really like the feature and not having to worry about manually turning the lights off; however, it bothers me to walk away with the lights on.
DRUZ370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: '02 Maxima SE
KameezGuru has a reputation beyond reputeKameezGuru has a reputation beyond reputeKameezGuru has a reputation beyond reputeKameezGuru has a reputation beyond reputeKameezGuru has a reputation beyond reputeKameezGuru has a reputation beyond reputeKameezGuru has a reputation beyond reputeKameezGuru has a reputation beyond reputeKameezGuru has a reputation beyond reputeKameezGuru has a reputation beyond reputeKameezGuru has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KameezGuru

Yea, It 1st borthered me also when I 1st got my '02 Maxima but you get used to it.
KameezGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUZ370 View Post
Does anyone know if you can set the auto headlights to turn off faster than the default 45 seconds after the car is turned off on a base model? I read in the manual that there is a setting on the Navi-equipped models but can't seem to find anything for the base.

I really like the feature and not having to worry about manually turning the lights off; however, it bothers me to walk away with the lights on.
If there's a setting on the Nav model, then it's probably a BCM setting that we all have, just we don't have an interface to change it. Probably the dealer can do it with CONSULT, or maybe UpRev can add this as a BCM parameter that can be played with in Cipher.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Base Member

Good thinking! I'll bring it up next time I stop by the dealer.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Answers
SoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

This has been discussed and essentially is one of the dumb mistakes, if you ask me, that Nissan did as they could have easily placed the configuration in the menus of the multi-gauge housing the fuel indicator.

Car Function Adjustments Available Only with Nav?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 09 370 PG AT
Justin1686 is on a distinguished road

eh, u'll get used to it. on my infiniti it's 60 seconds, on my moms murano its 45 seconds. u get used to it after a month..
Justin1686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Base Member

Ugh... not to mention on my way home today I noticed the headlights switching on under overpasses on the freeway... waaaay too sensitive! I'm giving up and keeping it manual until I get her into the dealer.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: with passion
KillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond repute

Why does it bother you?
KillerBee370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z Silver/Persi
Diversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Diversion

Yeah I do know that I can adjust the headlight delay via the Navigation console when you dig into the setting menus.. I have mine currently on at 30 seconds.. I believe it lets you adjust at 15 second increments.. they showed it to me at the dealer but honestly haven't touched it since.. I'll go back into it later today and report back.

Edit: Nevermind, the thread linked above confirms all the actual delay timers..
Diversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

SoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBee370 View Post
Why does it bother you?
Yes it does! Why? You pull into our garages with the blazing daylight outside and white colored walls, well-lighted garage inside (garage door open) and the 370Z lights turn on. Xenon does not like a lot of on and off as it shortens their lifespan.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired admin

Drives: Your Wife Crazy
frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal 370Z View Post
Yes it does! Why? You pull into our garages with the blazing daylight outside and white colored walls, well-lighted garage inside (garage door open) and the 370Z lights turn on. Xenon does not like a lot of on and off as it shortens their lifespan.
Right, either the book or the CD that came with the z (maybe both) even states that turning the lights on and off will shorten their lifespan, but mine are going on and off all the time doing normal things like pulling into/out of my garage, overpasses, the well lit tunnel I drive though, etc.
frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost View Post
Right, either the book or the CD that came with the z (maybe both) even states that turning the lights on and off will shorten their lifespan, but mine are going on and off all the time doing normal things like pulling into/out of my garage, overpasses, the well lit tunnel I drive though, etc.
Same here when driven with lighting position on "Auto." Guess what? We no longer drive with the auto feature, and that too is annoying. I hope that for the benefit of owners of succeeding model years that Nissan properly places these adjustments where they can easily be accommodated—in the multitasking fuel gauge.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired admin

Drives: Your Wife Crazy
frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost frost

Yeah, I turned mine off too. Which is a shame, because it worked very nicely in my other cars and was very handy.
frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: '04 Cavalier
miguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond reputemiguez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal 370Z View Post
Hey SoCal,

I think KillerBee was asking the original poster why it bothers him to walk away with the 45 second timer.

Regarding what you said, I agree, the auto-turn on sounds way too sensitive!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z Silver/Persi
Diversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond reputeDiversion has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Diversion

Im now using the lowest sensitivity of the auto-headlight feature and it's the sweet spot so far.. My lights aren't cutting on in the garage anymore before I pull out into the bright outside.. I'll see how dark it needs to get outside before they are triggered back on..
Diversion is offline   Reply With Quote