Nissan 370Z Forum  

How often should i run at high RPM

Is it recommended to run my 370z at high rpm on a regular basis to keep the engine running its best? If so is it best to do this for

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z General Area > Introduction > New 370Z Owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: Nissan 370Z 2009
tjwhitford is on a distinguished road
Default How often should i run at high RPM

Is it recommended to run my 370z at high rpm on a regular basis to keep the engine running its best? If so is it best to do this for short intervals or for extended times? After the engine is warm I get it up to just below redline for a few seconds on on-ramps every once in a while but I was told that I should keep the engine up very high for 5-10 minutes regularly. I have a new 370z and want to make sure I'm doing the right things from the start.
tjwhitford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 Z Coupe M6 SPT
red6spd is a jewel in the roughred6spd is a jewel in the roughred6spd is a jewel in the roughred6spd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwhitford View Post
Is it recommended to run my 370z at high rpm on a regular basis to keep the engine running its best? If so is it best to do this for short intervals or for extended times? After the engine is warm I get it up to just below redline for a few seconds on on-ramps every once in a while but I was told that I should keep the engine up very high for 5-10 minutes regularly. I have a new 370z and want to make sure I'm doing the right things from the start.

Keep it up high for 5-10 minutes???? Like floored in 6th gear topping out or just sitting in your driveway holding the RPM's up??? I'm a little confused by your questions. Are you trying to break the car in??? If so just drive the car smooth trying to keep the RPM's under 5k ish try not to floor the car but if you do either every once in a while its not gonna mess the car up. Do this for like 1200 miles and you should have nothing to worry about. If your Z is already broken in and your just asking about normal day to day drving you can do whatever you want as long as your not over reving the engine or flooring it in 6th gear doing like 10 mph. Its good to get on it everyonce in a while I mean that is what she was made of.

Last edited by red6spd; 12-18-2010 at 11:02 AM.
red6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 2015 GT-R PW Premium
WhiskeyHotel is on a distinguished road

I don't recall ever hearing anything like that. Just drive it normally and it'll be fine.
WhiskeyHotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: Nissan 370Z 2009
tjwhitford is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses. My friend was saying to keep the the car in like 2nd gear going 60mph for several minutes to blow the carbon out of the engine. He was saying I should do this weekly. I've never heard of that in my life. I'm at just under 6,000 miles so I'm beyond the break in stage I think. I drive in pretty normal conditions for the most part. We have a pretty awesome stretch of scenic highway where I live that I love to take it on every other week or so and really get on it! I love the car and thanks again for your help.
tjwhitford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 2015 GT-R PW Premium
WhiskeyHotel is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I have heard folks say "blow the carbon out of an engine" and such. I think it's mostly BS.

I was raised in Pine Bluff, Ar and got my degree at the University of Arkansas, Fayettevile. Lots of really nice scenic drives near Russellville - enjoy!
WhiskeyHotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '13 XKR-S, '10 370Z
AlphaSnacks is on a distinguished road

VQs don't have carbon issues - Audi's V8s, on the other hand do. Either way, flooring the car once was actually more than enough on older cars to blow some carbon out. As long as you drive your car with some spirit on occasion and aren't a grandma that never revs it above 4K, I wouldn't worry "carbon" build up.

Also, make sure to never fill your car up with anything less than premium. I refuse to even fill up 91 in my cars, 93 only for me.
AlphaSnacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z MB 6mt
shabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us dont have that luxury
shabarivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Just drive it normally. You have a brand news fuel injected engine with an overly complex variable valve head -- that advice sounds like a suggestion on how to clean out a gunked carburetor on an old jalopy without dismantling anything.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '13 XKR-S, '10 370Z
AlphaSnacks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
Just drive it normally. You have a brand news fuel injected engine with an overly complex variable valve head -- that advice sounds like a suggestion on how to clean out a gunked carburetor on an old jalopy without dismantling anything.
Yep.

These days, when you want to clean out some carbon, you use additives to run with the gasoline. Or, seafoam for something even more direct.
AlphaSnacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: C300 - 6spd
crash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond reputecrash1369 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold K. View Post
Yep.

These days, when you want to clean out some carbon, you use additives to run with the gasoline. Or, seafoam for something even more direct.
Be careful of anything you dump in your gas tank, the benefit, or even safety of any of that stuff is debatable.

All gasoline has detergents already in it these days, and so does your oil. Your engine should be clean already, and if there was sludge in your motor suddenly dumping all of it into your oil pan is not a good idea either.
"At no point during your rambling, incoherent response did you ever come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul."
crash1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370Z, Ducati 748S
BrianMSmith will become famous soon enoughBrianMSmith will become famous soon enough

Make sure the oil temp is at 180+ before any high load operation, just to be sure.

Mechanically, your car does not need to be "exercised" to remain in top physical condition. In the old days (20+ years ago) when combustion was not nearly as good as it is now (especially with carbs), max output operation could help keep your engine cleaner- valve seats, head, spark plugs, piston crown, but this is not an issue with modern cars and fuels.

High load operation does put increased wear on the engine, which directly effects life. I do not know what the design parameters are, but our cars would probably run 400k miles without a problem when driven "mixed use", like an average guy like me driving to work and home every day, at normal traffic speeds. Yes, modern engines are really that good, and rather over-designed. If you run your car exclusivley on the track all the time, maybe the life might only be 100k miles. Bottom line, drive it however you need or want to and forget about it.
BrianMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote