Nissan 370Z Forum  

Budget Setup Opinions

I would like to have better audio in my car but my budget is pretty tight. I have come up with the setup below: -- Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD Head Unit --

Go Back   Nissan 370Z Forum > Nissan 370Z Tech Area > Audio & Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370Z PG M6
chemi19 is on a distinguished road
Default Budget Setup Opinions

I would like to have better audio in my car but my budget is pretty tight. I have come up with the setup below:

-- Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD Head Unit
-- Polk Audio db6501 component speakers
-- JVC KS-AX3002 Amp for speakers
-- JL Audio 10W1v2-4 sub
-- Alpine MRP-M500 Sub Amp
-- Boyo VTB170 Rear View Camera

I am thinking in either a Zenclosure or making my own enclosure.
What do you guys think of this setup?
Anything I should change?
chemi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37x
bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Drop down to a nice rockford fosgate punch stage two or polk mm series sub and save some more cash no reason to go after JL and their price tag.

I would get the zenclosure.
https://www.facebook.com/Dynamicmobileaudio/
bigaudiofanat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Track Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z CY MT
DeEePiDDy is on a distinguished road

Get a better rear camera.. I recommend the Pioneer ndbc4 or the kenwood CMOS 200
Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Base Member

Thanks, but I can get either one for about the same price maybe a $10 difference.
Is there a benefit on the Polk MM over the JL? Other than personal preference
And if I go with the Polk, should I get the Dual or single voice coils?

Do you think I should get the amp for the component speakers or just run them from the HU? The amp is only about $50
Old 10-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

bigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond reputebigaudiofanat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Yahoo to bigaudiofanat Send a message via Skype™ to bigaudiofanat

Get the dual and the polk is going to be plenty of good quality bass same as the JL might be a tad more efficient as well. You can run the db's off the head unit.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 10 Armada
pg6speed is on a distinguished road

Here is my suggestion for a budget friendly but well rounded setup.

-- Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD Head Unit
-- Polk Audio db6501 component speakers
-- Kicker 08ZX550.3 Amp for the components and the sub
-- Kicker Solo-Baric L5 08S10L54 sub
-- Kicker ZCK44
-- Pioneer ND-BC4 Rear View Camera

As for the box you can buy the Zenclosure or if you have some basic wood working skills you can build your own just like it for half the price.

You can run the components off of the HU but you'll be giving them less than a quarter of the rms power that they can handle, you and the speakers will happier in the long run with more power. The 3 channel Kicker amp is inexpensive and has plenty of power for both the components and the sub its worth the money.

The amp kit comes with everything you need to do the install.

You can change the sub to anyone that you would like, look for single 2ohm or dual 4ohm voice coil and around 400-450rms watts it will work great with this amp.

I priced all of these products at sonicelectronix.com Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers, the price came to $1,124.95 shipped and it will include the dash install kit, HU wire kit, and antenna adapter. This is obviously not the most high end system but it will be one that you can be proud of and very happy with for less than some people pay for just their headunit.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Kicker makes good amps for subs but for speakers not so much I would go with an alpine if you go with an amp to power speakers. Or even use the add on amp that alpine sells and just wire it into the pioneer head unit.

Last edited by bigaudiofanat; 10-17-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Base Member

Drives: 10 Armada
pg6speed is on a distinguished road

The power from the kicker amp is much better than using the HU for power which you initially suggested. Sure there are better amps but we're talking budget and for $200 for an amp that will run everything in the car its hard to beat. Also the power from the kicker amp is more than clean enough to power Polk Db's its not as if they're the best speaker, quality for quality they are well matched.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sports PGK
sonic370 will become famous soon enoughsonic370 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to sonic370

not to get off topic but i've been told you don't need a dash kit.
most dd with slide right in. i hope so cause thats the way i would like to go.

the ones i've seen on line or butt ugly cheap plastic and spray painted?
sonic370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

I would pass on the amp and get a better camera.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
I would pass on the amp and get a better camera.
X2 also you do want to get the dash kit if you do not want a gap.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Base Member

Thank you very much for the help guys.
Unfortunately there has been a small change of plans as my car (2 weeks old today with 850 miles) just got hit on the driver rear quarter panel, so I will have to get all that resolved before I can get into this.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: N/A
kenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond reputekenchan has a reputation beyond repute

Doh! Sorry to hear.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: slowwww
Cmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond reputeCmike2780 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemi19 View Post
Thank you very much for the help guys.
Unfortunately there has been a small change of plans as my car (2 weeks old today with 850 miles) just got hit on the driver rear quarter panel, so I will have to get all that resolved before I can get into this.
Of all the places to get hit, that spot ranks as one of the worst since it's part of the frame and not a panel. Good luck with the repairs and make sure it's done correctly.

Cmike2780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Car Audio Installer

Let us know if they total it but I would be furious if they did. They better buy you a new one if they do. Good luck.