Thread: Engine Knocking
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
ryanboy
Base Member

Drives: Red z34 09 0060
ryanboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ryanboy

just getting back to this post since i kinda have an idea now...

since i got my car in 2009, i have been researching this issue all over the planet because the noise really bugs me sometimes. its the LIFTERS by the way. here is the best answer that makes sense an expert told me:

""This is not normal, but it does happen. It's the lifters, 100 % positive on that one. You will distinctively tell the difference between a rod knock and a lifter. A rod knock will most definitely cause your car to run like sh*t as well.

Anyhow, let's go about ways to solve the issue if you want the noise to go away.

A: Run the car at 2000 rpm's for 10 minutes. This acts as a "bleeding" method to the lifters to get the air out of them. This should have been done right when the engine was started the first time.

B: Most of the time, in your case, people who run the car for as long as it has without bleeding them will have to literally take the lifters out of the car, take them apart and soak it in fresh oil. Putting them back together and making sure they don't flip upside-down to let air in and reinstall them will ensure the noise to go away after they are bled using method A once the engine is first started up after re-installation.

Again, this is NOT normal, it just so happens the fallacy of people countlessly repeating it's normal has stuck. I'm not saying you have to do this or your engine will fail from a valve seizing from a failed lifter, because lifters ticking like yours is not a big deal.

Sometimes you just can't do anything about it as they will always tick no matter what you do, but most of the time this is solvable using the above methods, but people are lazy/don't want to take the engine apart (or know how to).

So if it bugs you enough, it's time to take those rocker covers off. Good luck.""

ps... im not going to take my engine apart just for this bull crap noise! ill just deal with it since it doesnt mess with the performance! i wonder if the GT-R has the same problem...
Slut RED Nismo Z34 2009 #60

ryanboy is offline   Reply With Quote