View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
SE
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z/STI/EVO X/IS-F
SE is a glorious beacon of lightSE is a glorious beacon of lightSE is a glorious beacon of lightSE is a glorious beacon of lightSE is a glorious beacon of lightSE is a glorious beacon of light

While I had the car on a lift, I decided to make a little more use of my time and install some more stuff.

I didn't take very many pictures of this install and actually had every intention of turning it into a DIY. But honestly, I was a little disappointed with some of the problems I encountered. You would think that after doing a header install, an intake install would be a cinch.

The main issue I am having is the included washer bottle does not fit due to the added ducting on the Nismo bumper support. This is where it is supposed to sit-

I know it's a relatively simple fix but I'd rather not cut it unless I really have to. I'm planning on calling AEM on Monday and asking if they're planning on making a different washer reservoir/mounting area for the Nismo models, or if I should just cut it.

I also have a rather annoying sound coming from the passenger side intake tube that only happens at WOT. I did a long tube header install at the same time, but it's unlikely that the culprit could be these as fitment/flex was all verified on a lift. The only possible scenario I can think of is that the included brackets/rubber mounts do not allow for enough flex to accomodate the moving engine, or the intake piping is hitting a metal area of the radiator support during engine movement.

It's not all bad though. Fuel economy has improved over my previous setup (just test pipes). Again, I don't know if this is due to the FI long tubes or the intake but I'm averaging about 20mpg compared to my previous of about 17. Intake powdercoat color is almost an exact match with the PG paint, just a shade darker. And the combination of the AEM intakes with the FI long tubes made a huge difference in low through upper mid range power.
SE is offline   Reply With Quote