Thread: 2013 Nissan Z
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #51 (permalink)
280z/300zx
Track Member

Drives: 280z, 300zx, Vette
280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute280z/300zx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh1te370z View Post
That would turn into a problem for Nissan. Similar to what happened to chevey. The Camaro and vette all had the same motor. People were putting headers and little things on camaros and keeping up with the vettes for half the price so they discontinused them. This is what I have "HEARD". But it is true if u slap some headers and and tune on latter model camaros they stay w the vettes. I feel like if they tt the 370 all u would have to do is tune it and run some more boost and have ALMOST a gtr for again half the price. Just my $.02

I hear this a lot from other Z owners but even if Nissan released a 400hp Z it would still be 120hp less than the GTR. Even with exhaust and a tune you would still be less than the GTR. While the 370z weights less it would still be hard pressed to match the GTR in performance. The GTR is an 11sec car not only because of the motor but because of AWD. There are plenty of people here who have either a supercharger or TT kit on their 370z and still are only running 12's. There is more to the GTR than just 520hp.

The same goes with the Vette. While the Camaro with a few mods can equal or best the vette in a drag race it still won't compare to the Vette in other areas. They are two different cars. Also, the reason GM stopped making the Camaro/firebird wasn't because of Corvette sales, it was simply just responding to poor sports car sales in general. Remember at the end of the 90's the 300zx, RX-7, Supra, 3000GT/Stealth died. The camaro/firebird was just a few years behind. The only car in the price range to really survive was the mustang.

Honestly most people now and days who buy the camaro over the Vette are those who either don't want to spend the money or those who need a back seat and trunk. My girlfriend had a Vette but traded in for the camaro SS 6-speed. The Vette was awesome but she needed something with a backseat and the savings every month on the payment was also a plus. People will buy a TT Z if it ever comes out but not because they don't want the GTR; they would buy the Z because it's cheaper or because it has a real manual tranny or because it's RWD or combination of these. One example, one of our local club members just traded his heavily modded GTR in for a new Nismo 370z. Why? He wanted rwd and a manual tranny.
280z/300zx is offline   Reply With Quote