View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
I suppose the takeaway for me is that one can do the the bolt-ons for a few, varying reasons:

1) slowly add improvement on improvement until the gains are considerable
2) do the bolt-ons because you enjoy the process or aesthetic improvements
3) need the bolt-ons as a primer for other, larger modifications

In the end, a single bolt-on modification alone is really only beneficial if you're changing an aesthetic (exhaust sound) or prepping for some other addition (turbo, etc). If you think just putting on an intake or a HFC alone is going to make your car noticeably faster, you're really just fooling yourself.
I get the feeling that you're new to this. Not a bad thing... that's just what I get from reading the above.

Bolt-ons aren't just for aesthetics. They make a noticeable improvement.

Assuming we can take off .4 seconds in the 1/4 mile (let's say the car goes 13.3 stock) and run a 12.9... you're going to feel the hell out of that. If you can't, something is seriously wrong with your butt dyno.

I remember a simple throttle-body + intake plenum combo I added to my old Mustang. It was only good for a peak 5rwhp, but it sure as hell felt like a ton more. Why? Because I picked up 18 rwhp at 3800 RPM and averaged a 12ish rwhp gain through the mid-range. Huge difference in feel.
LIKE us on Facebook!
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote