View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
wstar
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: too slow
wstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond reputewstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez View Post
in.the.dark, I think wstar is right. The MAS does measure how much air goes by, but it also measures in how big an interval of time, and at what temp it was, and adjusts the fuel-air mixture based on that. By cooling the air at the throttle body you increase the density, and that new density is what arrives in the cylinder and is burnt. No one added oxygen into the air, but now there is more oxygen in the same stroke volume, and the mixture is lean.
I donno, in.the.dark may actually be correct on this. I guess it depends on exactly how the mix is calculated by the ECU? I don't know enough to say for sure. But he's right that if you appreciably cooled the air post-MAS, the MAS would see a higher flow volume of the hotter air. Whether that makes everything equivalent in terms of what the MAS measures and the ECU calculates is what I'm unsure of.