View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Amuse370z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '13 PW Fairlady Z
Amuse370z will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Now is a great time to start turning a wrench by yourself. The advantage is that you are not doing anything critical with the exhaust system and it is as simple as turning a couple bolts. I know, I just installed my cat back, which you can read about here. The same is true with the badge, which I also covered in part one of the project.

I'm not sure that the links will be allowed since I'm not a site sponsor so AK, if you're reading this and don't want to allow it, I'm just trying to help the guy out. Would it be possible to paste the pertinent portion of the article if not? Thanks.

Paint and body is better left to the professionals. A good shop will blend the flake, or 'color match' so that the human eye can't detect a transition in color. That is the proper technique and you should avoid any shop that doesn't bring up this step (especially on a metallic flake paint job). It will add a little cost because the fenders and hood will be prepped and sprayed as well in order to produce the proper fade.

The question is really whether you ever plan on turning a wrench on your car. Once the bolt-ons are done, you won't have many opportunities to do simple tasks such as these. If you aren't comfortable with something as simple as installing a cat-back exhaust, you will not be comfortable tackling something more complex.

Performing modifications (even easier ones) builds your confidence and starting simple sets you up for success. Some people like the idea of having someone else do it for various reasons. One of those reasons is that it something is wrong, it's someone else's problem. For something complex, like paint, I encourage you to seek professional services. For something like an exhaust, there isn't much to go wrong. If the exhaust sections aren't bolted tight enough and there is an exhaust leak, you will be able to tell immediately and reach down and tighten the bolt.

And you can't say that you need a lift; The exhaust on my Z was installed in a two car garage (which is half occupied by a '66 Mustang project) using nothing but hand tools and some ramps. As for the badge, you won't even have to remove the stock one since your new bumper won't have a badge.

I hope this helps you out in some way, whether it encourages you to do some work yourself or just give you an idea what to look for in a shop for painting your kit.
Wow, fantastic links! I'll read them in a second, i can see why the Fairlady emblem is said to be easy to install, it comes with the blue foam which sorta guides where it should go on, can't say the same for my 200Turbo genesis emblem.

I'll highly consider tackling the job myself, I do need a way to get the car up, however.
Amuse370z is offline   Reply With Quote