Thread: Varis in Black
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
370Ztune
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Z34 370Z
370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute370Ztune has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Z JT View Post
Hey mike. How do you feel about Top Secret CF parts. Are they hit or miss? Bought a full CF front lip and I was not impress with the fitment ( holes not lining up) nor the CF quality ( clear coat issues).
I'm surprised that there were fitment issues with your front lip, but I had a similar issue with my S2000 front bumper. The holes didn't line up so I had to redrill them, but the bumper fitment was very good so that's all that really mattered. I think my 2nd bumper didn't need re-drilling (crashed the first one)

How was the overall fitment of the lip?

Regarding the carbon finish, it's been that way with Top Secret for as long as I've seen (been here for 4 years). I have run into this a few times with Japanese parts in general, including Top Secret. Some parts have an imperfect weave or some clouding in the clearcoat. For some companies, this is acceptable. They're more concerned with the quality of construction and fitment; and not so much on the visual.

A good example is the Mugen Dry Carbon S2000 hood. It's a $4k hood that is made with 2 pieces of carbon so there is an obvious seam going straight through the hood horizontally. They could have made it with one piece of carbon, but I guess it was just a waste.

Most people wouldn't want a seam going through the hood after spending $4k, but it's a difference of perspective I guess. It used to matter more to me, but nowadays it's more classy to paint carbon and it looks cleaner with just accents so it's not a big deal so much anymore.

Hope this helps.

Mike
370Ztune is offline   Reply With Quote