View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
m4a1mustang
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: on two wheels
m4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond reputem4a1mustang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxj17 View Post
looked better before the jimmy of a spacer?
Meh, I think it looks better this way... but again, still more a temp fix than anything.

The big change is in the feel. Before, when you grabbed the knob you were grabbing the boot, too. The base of the knob was smaller than the opening in the boot. Just felt awful.

I have some other stuff that I am going to try but for now this is the best solution. It provides the feel I'm looking for and IMO, doesn't look that bad. It'd be better if I could get the spacer to match the knob, which I think I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreen View Post
leave the spacer off
Again, it's all about feel. It feels like **** without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGItonium
Nice! Is summer weather going to cause issues with the shift knob? Also, does the notchiness get any worse? That's what I'm worried about... the clunk.
Thanks. It was 90 degrees today and the knob was only warm when I got in the car. This one is clear coated so you're not touching bare metal. I've also got 35% tint which keeps the cabin a little bit cooler.

As far as the feel goes... it is definitely a more notchy feel, although I'm not quite sure if that's the right word for it. I'd say it feels more mechanical or more direct.

Aside from shortening the throw and allowing for more precise shifts, the short shifter eliminates the "slop" that's in the factory shifter. The factory shifter incorporates a lot of materials that absorb the feedback from the transmission. With the short throw you've got a more direct connection to the transmission, so you are getting a lot more feedback.
LIKE us on Facebook!

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 06-08-2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Consolidated posts
m4a1mustang is offline   Reply With Quote