View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
The HACK
Base Member

Drives: '06 BMW MZ4 Coupe
The HACK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez View Post
Sounds like sound advice, Hack, I'll get some lock washers.

I wonder if that's what happened to Killer Bee, making him lose the reverser lockout?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimosis View Post
I haven't heard his story, but if you install the shifter like this:

you'll lose the lockout. it needs to have the stock aluminum plate over the top of the blue anodized B&M plate in order for the lockout to work. If you do it like this:

your lockout will work.

-Phim
Yes. However the top plate may move far enough to the right for the lock-out feature to not work. Hence the recommendation was to get serrated lock washers to prevent the top plate from moving around due to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimosis View Post
to avoid detroying your knob, try using a towel over the knob, then grab it with a clamp or a monkey wrench, rather than using channel locks. You'll exert much less force on the knob. Then you rely on the elliptical shape of the knob to get your traction for turning it. My knob got a few scuffs, but is not ruined:

-Phim
That is about as good as I've seen it done. I've done this shifter in several 350Zs and saw Killer Bee's shifter installed, and frankly it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the knob off without at least some sort of minor marks on it. Even the picture posted with the knob in the clamp after the assembly was removed, left small indentations in the knob. On my 350Z I ended up just buying a new knob from Nissan.
The HACK is offline   Reply With Quote